Favorite concert halls/venues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KJaeger, May 26, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have played in Carnegie Hall and it was the best for me.

I have listened in Boston Symphony Hall and from the audience it was unbelievable.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I would say the same thing, although I think Jordan Hall at the New England Conservatory is right up there with Symphony Hall (like B15M, I've never gotten to play on stage there).

In case anyone is wondering, I resurrected this thread because I recently had a reminder of how important it is to play in a good hall. I spent four years playing several times a week in Jordan Hall, in my opinion one of the best places to make music in the world. Now I'm at the University of Minnesota, and I'm finding that there really aren't any spaces that come close to Jordan Hall. Also, the practice rooms at my new school are almost completely dead. As a result, it's been harder to hear and realize the sound that I want. A lot of time I feel like I'm blowing and nothing comes out... Last night I played a Christmas gig at a local high school auditorium. The hall was very well designed and I felt I played better there than I had all semester. There's a delicate balance between making yourself feel good by practicing in a nice room and killing yourself by practicing in dead rooms. Sometimes I forget that music making is an act of communication, and it really does help to be in a space that was designed for that kind of communication.
    -Jimi

3. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    Gilly's Jazz Club; Dayton, Ohio.

The stage really sucks, but it always gives me a real sense of pride to play in such a historic place. Ever since the place went non-smoking, it's been even better!

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I don't know if I should really say anything in this topic, just because of my lack of experiance, but last June we played at Carnegie, it was absoulutly amazing. I really doubt that I will ever play in such an amazeing hall again in my life, unless of course I go back to Carnegie.

But for all the Phoenix, Az area people here, have any of you been to the new Mesa Arts Center in downtown Mesa? That too is an amazing hall, from what I've heard from my director and a few other perfessionals I know, that hall has the potential to be one of the "great halls" in the country.

5. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    I've never played there, you can say anything you want!

6. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    David,

Yep! I played the opening Mesa Symphony concert of the season in the new Mesa Arts Center. I'll have to say it's really a good hall (better than Chandler Center and easily on par with if not better than Gammage).

My vote for favorite hall (from an audience perspective) is Orchestra Hall / Symphony Center in Chicago. The first time I heard a big time orchestra was Mahler 3 at Orchestra Hall in the early 90s. Wow! I was just blown away at how clear everything was!

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Yeah, I heard their house band is pretty good...

8. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A. is uncommonly good!

Kevin

9. gtownlead

gtownlead New Friend

Jan 29, 2005
    I had the privilage to perform at Symphony Hall in Boston. It was an incredible expierience. Best hall I have ever palyed in by far. I had to stop in the middle of warmimg up to make sure it was actually me playing.

10. MusicOmnibus

MusicOmnibus New Friend

Nov 15, 2005
    Greeley
    I would definately agree with Carnegie Hall having really good sound. It was my first performance in a good hall. It still remains my favorite.