Favorite Drum Corps Show

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    If you haven't noticed I am a very big drum corp fan. I love it so much that I'm marching with Spirit Drum and Bugle Corp even if they aren't the best. I was wondering what shows have always stuck in your head or inspired you? For me it has to be Phantom Regiment's Harmonic Journey and On Air Productions, Cavalier's Machine and And so it Goes, and many others.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Cavalier's Spin Cycle... I think the drill stands out in my mind more than the music... but that is a show I will never forget... 2003 is the year they played it I think.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Spin Cycle was a good march
    I had the chance to see it live
    Very enjoyable, the amount of energy the Cavies put into their shows is amazing

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Where did you see it? I saw it in Allentown that year... try to make it up every year but haven't made it the last two.

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Jay Birdy Crum
    same place 5th row

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have been following Drum Corps for 40 yrs or so and can't recall many individual shows, but always like the Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils , Santa Clara,(I have tapes of the Vanguard doing two years in a row of the Phantom of the Opera) The Cadets, etc. The Cavvies Machine was great, as were many others. I liked the Cadet's one where they had flier's costumes an formed a propellor airplane. Some of their shows are pretty esoteric compared to others. Phanton's classical themes have been a welcome alternative to some of the contemporary music I am not familiar with. More recently I have been impressed with the Glassmen and the Colts progress.
    We have a fine show every summer in Kalamazoo and one thing that makes them special is the progress from the small corps to the majors and that field filling sound coming at you in greater proportion as the quality of the corps progresses.:thumbsup:

From reviewing the DCI schedule, it looks like the only show will be at Vicksburg, Mi on July 2,
    (10 miles from Kazoo) Don't see one for Waldo stadium at WMU.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Hey, the assistant choreographer of our musical marched with Spirit for a couple year, and went to college there too.

He played mello his first year, and baritone his second. I think he left before you marched, though.

8. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Most every BD show (I'm a Devils fan so biased). The Bridgemen in 77? Where the drum line did the blindfold thing was a classic. As they were known the Garfield Cadets when they did the first version of West Side Story. A groundbreaking show which changed drill and choreography forever!

9. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    93 Star of Indiana...period.

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I loved the Bridgemen alumni show last year, too.