Favorite exercises in Arban's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mortakye, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mortakye

mortakye Pianissimo User

May 6, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've been playing almost daily out of the Arban's book for about 20 years now and I'm still discovering things in the book that I swear I've never seen before, adn yet there are pages that I can play from memory because I find myself going back to them over and over.

I thought it would be interesting to see what exercises everyone keeps coming back to and what they use them to work on.

My favorite exercises in the book are #11-27. Fairly simple but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of them. I use them as kind of a benchmark for my playing. If something isn't working right those are the lines I use to figure it out and fix it.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    For warm-ups I do pg 14 ex. 16-19;pg 20-21 ex.46; pg 21 ex. 47; pg 59 ex. 1-5; pg 61 ex. 12-16; pg 76 ex. 1-3

Good basic runs.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    the minor and diminished arpeggios. You can swing them too!

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I like Characteristic study #8. Very under-rated in my opinion.

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Carnival of Venice. :-P

6. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    Little Swiss Boy for a warmup, then usually play all the etudes in every key 3-4 times and 180bpm. After that I move on to Double C's for 15-20 minutes, then call it a day.

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Blue Bells of Scotland (#148)
    The Alpine Horn (#134)
    Freischütz (#78)
    Le Desir (#67)
    L'Elisire D'Amore (#53)

The first three are just a lot of fun. Le Desir is an odd piece by Beethoven that I work on for tone. All quarter notes, and harder to play really well than it appears. The last one is just a neat duet that I like playing when a duet partner is available. I play a lot of the scale exercises, but my current top 5 favorites out of all of Arbans are these songs.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I like the dominant and diminished arpeggio studies, the intervallic studies, a bunch of the appogiatura studies (though I don't practice them for the purpose of the 'turn'...I just like em) and the characteristic studies.

Of course, when I was younger in school I used to get a friend and spend time with the duets too.

bigtiny

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I use page 125 to work on my bottom register by using the first one down to G and then drop down and do the one to F# & F down an octave. I also work the triple tonguing section beginning on 155 and move on to double tonguing beginning on 175. These are standard that I do daily. If there is another problem then I use other things in the book.

10. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm loving the Home Sweet Home and Blue Bells of Scotland at the moment. Such fun little pieces to play with between semesters