Favorite Herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass song......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 9, 2011.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I would love for some of those old albums to be remixed if the technology exists. I was listening to "Going Places" this afternoon and the stereo mix gets annoying after a while... rhythm section all the way left, trumpets in the middle, and everyone else all the way right.

Tom

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    You must REALLY hate listening to the Beatles stereo recordings then ROFL (there is no real "center" channel at all)

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well - Dude - that's where ~you~ are. Dig? :)

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    huh? :dontknow:
    The Beatles are perhaps my first musical love btw. The very first lp I could call my own was "Revolver"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Too abstract? What I meant was, there's the stereo separation but they left a special place right in the middle for you to sit and be in the middle of it all. Can't get any more special than that, right? Epecially if you're on the floor with a lot of cushions, you've got your water pipe, a banged, long-haired chic with mini skirt next to you and an oil lamp lighting up the wall. Grrooovy baaby. ;-)

6. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I can dig it ;-)

7. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    In my opinion, Herb had so many great songs it is just about impossible to answer the question. Each album has more than one good song, as it was Herb's intent not to create album "filler" ; rather, to create an album with strong tracks throughout with no throw-away tracks.

The sound and style of the Tijuana Brass developed and evolved over the period 1962 to 1969. Each album consists of a step ahead in the direction Herb was going and in his development of the concept of the Tijuana Brass.

Two tracks that I think are good representations of how the sound became more sophisticated over time can be heard on the Beat Of The Brass album from 1968. These are Slick and Panama.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I don't remember:lol::roll::dontknow::oops:

9. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
  10. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    So What's New features Herb's classic sound and style.

It's a simple piece in terms of notes, but I'll challenge anyone to get that sound and phrasing. And, as far as I am concerned, that's what counts.