Favorite Herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass song......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 9, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Its tough to really nail down a "favorite" song.... I love them all!!!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I absolutely agree. His ability to play short staccato notes where the tone just ends-no resonance-is remarkable. Same with the tonguing. Clear, short, and part of the note. I couldn't get his sound, no matter how hard I tried. Wasn't it Jerry Moss that played the other part? They blended very well. Other groups tried to copy them (something Brass) but the sound of the trumpet was different. I've never heard another player whose sound just stopped-no resonance.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
  4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I believe we must get to the bottom of this bit of contradiction here. Some are saying the woman on the album cover is the wife of one of the members, and some are saying she isn't. Now DaveH actually names her and seems to know a bit about her as well. Consensus is she is/was pregnant. I'm sure she isn't now!:roll:

5. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Here's a couple of many links that can be found about Delores Erickson...there is no need for contradiction - she was NOT married to anyone connected with the Tijuana Brass or A&M Records. She was a model.

Dolores Erickson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dolores Erickson - Vinyl Times.com

About Dolores Erickson, Dolores Erickson Videos, Pictures, Images, Movies, Biography - FamousWhy

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    No...Jerry Moss never played anything. He was Herb's business partner in A&M Records.

First, Herb played all the trumpet parts himself on all the Tijuana Brass recordings back in the 1960s. He overdubbed the parts several times to get the sound you hear as the signature Tijuana Brass sound.

Second, there is only one Herb Alpert. No one else in the world sounds like him.

Herb used studio musicians on the first four albums. After the Whipped Cream album (album #4), the demand for concert appearances led Herb to form the Tijuana Brass group that is pictured on the Going Places album and the albums which followed. This group was comprised of Herb Alpert and Tonni Kalash on trumpets, Bob Edmondson on trombone, Lou Pagani on piano, Nick Ceroli on drums, Pat Senatore on bass guitar, and John Pisano on the 12 string guitar.

In the studio, Julius Wechter played marimba. Julius was the leader of the Baja Marimba band - another A&M creation.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ok...her name wasn't Dorothy. It was Delores. And maybe she wasn't married to a band member. I knew if I through some half truths out there.....we'd get the real story. So who was the baby's daddy ?

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ah, well that explains how the second trumpet part sounded just like him. Had never met anyone who could blend so well -so it was himself.

I remember in early 1966 going to see him live-riding to the concert in Dad's 65 Mustang. He did have a second trumpet player- short fellow if I remember correctly. Also, the bone player was great. THis was in the days when tours of such groups were just starting to come to our city -Birmingham, AL. We were a bit unsophisticated. No one had heard of an opening band and he was our first to have such. Who opened for him -S. Mendez and Brazil 66!!! Oh yeah. They had a great show, but after a few numbers, rumors started to circulate that Alpert had cancelled and they were a replacement group. Folks were glad to see them end and Alpert take the stage.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You are hereby the resident expert:worthy: I was not implying you were wrong before, just that there were discrepancies!
    Thanks for the info. I love this stuff!

10. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    My pleasure...always fun to talk about Herb, the Tijuana Brass, the music, and reminisce about the "old days". My favorite music and trumpet inspiration.

Been a big fan since about 1965, played the music in a similar group for many years long ago, and had the opportunity to meet and play for Herb and the guys back in 1968. I have many experiences, memories, and quite a bit of information in "storage" on the topic of the Tijuana Brass and related matters.