Favorite Herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass song......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Herb used Tonni Kalash as the second trumpet player for concert performances.

It is said that the Tijuana Brass was the first to carry on the road a professional sound system back in those days in order to control what the audience heard from the stage and recreate studio quality sound. I heard and saw the system Herb used, which was based on Altec Lansing components, and was capable of filling even the largest concert venues. It was state of the art for the times, and did really control the sound in such a way that it produced recording studio quality sound in concert. It was unusual for its time.

The first time I heard the group in concert in 1968, I was totally amazed at how tremendously good they were and sounded, and how "easy" they made it all look. They played with "pinpoint" accuracy and precision; yet there was also a "jazziness" and swing that was very evident. I was 17 years old at the time, and was totally in awe of it. At that time, "This Guy's In Love With You" was a #1 hit, and the popularity of the group was at its peak. Really something special to see and hear...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    WOW, now I'm really impressed. When I was a freshman in high school, the older trumpet players were playing this song, "A Taste of Honey" and I had no idea who this Herb Alpert guy was, but soon I was also playing along with those Tijuana Brass songs. I still have the book I bought back then and play some of them still to this day!

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Is it true that "Lonely Bull" was actually Herb overdubbing himself slightly out of sync?

4. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    The fine looking woman with Herb on "South of the border" and "What now,my love" was Jerry Moss's wife, I believe. Somebody correct me if Im wrong..........yes, they are without a doubt, my favorite brass group of all time. When I was a kid, my parents had a whole stack of his albums, and it was Herbs playing that was the inspiration for me to become a trumpet player!!! Still listen to his stuff almost everyday....never gets old!!! Herb is a genius!!!

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    he's married to the girl singer from Brasil '66. Lani Hall, IIRC:oops:

My senior year we did a bunch of Herb's stuff for marching band, Lonely Bull and Spanish Flea. One of the was a majorette routine in costume........Buck:roll::oops:

6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, it is generally agreed that the model on the albums mentioned is Sandra Moss, the wife of Jerry Moss, the "M" in A&M Records.

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I normally don't divulge this information in public, but I'm the father of the infamous "whipped cream love child."

Our son, Herkimer, who is now 45 years-old, manages a Dairy Queen in Ajo, Arizona and frequently whistles TJB songs while putting whipped cream on banana splits.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Neat! Can you tell us about the shoot -how the idea occurred etc. It is a piece of history and it would be nice to know the facts rather than the rumors.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    And there's always the Mariachi Brass with Chet Baker. ;-)

I'm just curious how many of you who were Herb Alpert enthusiasts were also listening to Blue Mitchell, Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan and the like, or were you leaning more towards commercial players like Al Hirt, Doc Severinson?