Favorite Horn you Ever Played?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    A Monette I tried at Chuck Levine's Washington Music. Must have been like in 1990 (?) when Roger Kyper was there; I had bought a few horns from Roger & when this Monette someone ordered through WM, arrived, he called me to go try it out. It probably was the very first "basic" model made...it was amazing & I ordered one from Roger. The guy thought I was kidding and never ordered one for me....to this day I'm pissed off about it...it was only like $1,500.00......now, they are 5 times that!

2. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    .....and aside from that Monette I tried years ago, now it is my Andalucia Concerto trumpet....very "unique" sound and very easy to play.....

3. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Forte User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    My new kanstul french Besson Stamm model is definitely my favorite horn that I own and that I have ever played:thumbsup:

4. davidwelborn

davidwelborn New Friend

Oct 18, 2014
    Benge. Love the bright sound. Low resistance in high register as well.

5. cbtj51

cbtj51 New Friend

Nov 15, 2016
    Deep South
    I really like all of the horns that I own, but I recently sent my LA Benge that I bought new in 1971 to Osmun for a much needed Valve Job. I expected a nice horn to come back based on Jim Becker's reputation for "magic", but the result is much more than I could have imagined.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was told, "Jim rolled the Odometer on this horn back to pretty much 0", and I would agree! It may be even better than when it was new. I've had it back since late March and am putting some serious miles on it! All I can say is that I just can't put it down for very long. Great, really Great horn again!

Mike

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. adc

adc Mezzo Piano User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Nice cbt

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    My Austin Winds, though the Mt. Vernon 43 has to be considered too. And, a wreck of 19th century central European baritone that hangs on the wall at Hewitt's Music - even if back in the 70s when I played on it I had to cover the hole in the bell ferrule with my hand - I see they fixed that now.

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    THE LYNNZHORN!!!:D Does what Lynn says..Has that MF sound with a shallow mouthpiece. Reminds me of the old Holton MF sound..but it really does blow more like a ML bore..I like a large bore horn, but the MF Holtons blew HUGE for me. It was a wonderful surprise when I started to play the Lynnzhorn and could get that sound without the ‘mega-huge’ blow. When I put in my deeper jazz piece, it gets a beautiful dark jazz sound and, with the rounded slide, it blows more like a flugel and I can do all the jazz inflections I like.

2nd favorites: Scodwell horn..Blew a friend’s on a gig for a little bit..played wonderfully. Same deal with the Harrelson Summit. Also the Callet JAZZ copper insulated. I’ve played and owned a lot of other very good trumpets, but the Lynnzhorn, Scodwell, Summit, and Callet all make/made a big impression on me as, when I started playing them, they played in such an easy way with such a great sound that it stuck in my mind.

Flugel: The Manchester Brass Pro Model. About a year ago, I listened to all Trent’s flugel clips on the Austin Custom Brass site - my favorite sound was the Manchester Pro Model.. Just a couple of weeks afterwards, I saw an ad for a used one..I got an amazing deal..something like $7 or $800…and it plays better than flugels I’ve had that were several thousand dollars. I’m a jazz player and, to me, it plays like one of the old Couesnon flugels, but with excellent intonation. This is a lightweight flugel that is very responsive to mouthpiece changes. Going from a shallow flugel piece to a deep flugel piece is a big difference in sound.

Pocket trumpet - Calicchio. Got to play one at Dillon’s several years ago. Haven’t played a Marcinkiewcz yet, so can’t compare it to that, but the Calicchio really blew like a full size Bb. For the $$, my Stomvi Forte pocket can’t be beat..Step above the Carols and Manchester pocket..which are still excellent pockets for the $$. All the best, Lex

9. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, the 5000 YLT is the specs of the Blackhawk, like a Bach 72. I have this one and it is a wonderful, versatile axe. It was my main horn before I got the Lynnzhorn. The 5000 YST is great too and that's got around the specs of a Bach Strad 37..I can get more brightness out of the Carol though for loud lead playing/'cutting through electronics' with the Carol.

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Many years ago I played a horn that gave exact the sound I was looking for and played in a way I was looking for, a real case of the horn that found me: the Yamaha YTR 6330B, yes, the Till Brönnerhorn.
    But everybody including my teacher (if I remember well) was against it for different reasons and at that time I had not much self-confidence in my knowledge and ability to judge horns so I did not have the guts to buy it. Nowadays I am not sure whether I should be happy with it or not, maybe I have to try again though they are no longer in production.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM