Favorite, ideal warm up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zerbinatti, Jun 30, 2014.

1. zerbinatti

zerbinatti Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2012
    Brazil
    Hi there!
    I would like to know which is your favorite (ideal) warm up for each situation (before your daily practice or before a gig). Or do you warm up the same in every occasion?
    those Who Dont warm up are welcome to answer too.:lol:
    thanks

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A very quiet double-pedal C (with my hand over the bell if it was public). Never felt I needed any more than that.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I never warm up and teach my students the same. I believe that the emotional "dependency" on this type of ritual does more harm than good - especially considering that getting to a gig almost never works out optimally and I HATE the noise when getting ready on stage. Come to think of it, I never ask back trumpeters that need to bring warm up baggage to the stage. The really good players that do warm up, find a place elsewhere!°

I do advocate a daily routine at home to figure out where I am physically and mentally. There is NO TECHNIQUE studies in my daily routine.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Just a minute or so of some soft chromatic long tones and a couple lips slurs, played with an old harmon with a towel stuffed in it - my redneck silent mute system. Done...nobody is there to hear me or anyone else warm up.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Long tones in the medium register, expanding to low and high with slow chromatic scales, taking care of staying in the center of pitch and having no breaks between notes. Single tongued scales, and some flexibility. It depends on how much time before the gig, no point doing it too far in advance or too close to start time. I wish I had the kind of freedom Rowuk has but I find that I usually perform poorly if I can't have some way to recall/resituate my muscle memory. Perhaps it's all in my head, perhaps that's a side effect of being a complete adult learner with no trumpet experience at all during the formative years of youth, when these skills are best imprinted in long term memory. However, others without this disadvantage need very extensive warm-ups, like Doc Severinsen. He does acknowledge his dependency on it and caution against developing such dependency. He says "use the least warm-up possible" but recognizes that it's a very individual matter.

Very interesting clinic by Doc here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u95lHDPqwI

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Isn't this more about controlling anxiety as much as anything?

Without actually getting around to a scientific study about it, I always tended to associate elaborate warm-up routines with nervous players.

Like anyone else, I had my own set of problems, but stagefright was never one of them. What little warmup I did was simply to warmup the instrument so I didn't kickoff flat.

7. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Anything in Arbans...

8. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    When you don't feel rushed...

Arturo Sandoval's
    [​IMG]

from: Vol. 3 Advanced Playing Technique & Performance Studies For Trumpet

9. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    It appears to me that most of the previous posters are what Ed Lee and I might call the younger generation….. I would love to hear from others, who, like Ed and I, are in the “advanced years” of middle age – like 78. Doc Severinsen might still fit into our category and as pointed out above, still warms up. As I recall, Raphael Mendez warmed up about 30 min at the time that I saw him perform in the 1960’s. I can speak for myself and my 84 year old (former professional) section partner – we both warm up somewhat extensively (20 min minimum). He does his great improv on whatever piece that comes to mind, and I do my scales and technique exercises, but both of us are muted and off-stage, preferably in a closed room. How about it, “old-timers?” Any other first hand knowledge of the role of the aging process on the need to warm-up?

10. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    :-? A lot of experience here, 78 and 84 years old and still have a young soul.