Favorite, ideal warm up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zerbinatti, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the Heimat tone concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mouthpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimat tone (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good," "bad" or "ideal." Just play your first tone of the day on your mouthpiece for a few days, check your pitch with a piano or your trumpet, and you've got your own personal Heimat tone.

Some players start their warm-ups on c below the staff, then work their way upwards, but that makes any thing above c below the staff a more or less a high note. Rather than starting in the lower register, consider starting at your personal Heimat tone and expanding from there. That gives us the feeling of having more low tones to play, and fewer high ones to struggle for. After a couple minutes of expanding from the Heimat tone, you should be in pretty good shape to play.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    At 76 my approach to a rehearsal or gig is:- on the way my mouthpiece is in an inside pocket to keep it warm without keys or coins, set the tuning slide to its usual place depending on ambient temperature, blow air through the horn to get it up to operating temperature as Seth, while reading through the music to play, think of the sound of the first note, a good relaxed breath to be ready to play at the downbeat.

In Orchestra the leader will tune before the start, in Big Band it is usually left to the individual to play in tune.

Regards, Stuart.

3. zerbinatti

zerbinatti Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2012
    Brazil
    Rowuk, I agree with you that the warm up May have some kind of emotional dependence, specially for the ocasional player like me. I feel the need to blow for a couple of minutes to see How I am in termos of sound and intonation to get confident.
    Interest point of view for me who was always told just to warm up and period.

4. zerbinatti

zerbinatti Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2012
    Brazil
    Very soft breath attacks (not tonguing) like you were wispering with the horn... I found this to be a good instrument warm up. It makes the chops work too.

5. MikeS

MikeS New Friend

Feb 25, 2014
    I'm far from an expert, but for me I feel stiff at first so I need to play a little to get warmed up....same goes for guitar playing for me. I just do some simple long tones, scale fragments, and maybe a couple simple node exercises. 5 minutes maybe? I'm far from a lead player, but this usually gets me ready for the lyrical kinda stuff I need for the gig. I definitely can't just pick it up and play or I'll start cackin' like a mofo.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do Walter Moecks warm-up in the car on the way to rehearsal / performances . No one wants to hear a warm-up routine.

7. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you know --- I read posts like this from Rowuk for years ------------------- and for many of those years, I was QUITE CERTAIN the guy was just "whacked" and "off his rocker" (translation for you in Brazil - "I thought Rowuk was plain CRAZY to not warm up") -------------------------- however, after 5 1/2 years of playing on a comeback ---- and playing at least an hour everyday, sometimes two ------------- I am actually finding that I really need NO WARM UP to play. sure sometimes I do a few low notes below the staff before I go to the stage, but most of the time, we can just unpack the horn and play.

so, NOW, I must actually AGREE with ROWUK on this point ---- no warm up needed (provided you put in the face time on the horn) ----------------------- in another 3 years, I think I am actually going to like this guy's advice ----- (of course it might take Rowuk, 6 years beyond that to "warm up" to ole KT here) --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd love to be present for the conversation where you tell Doc that the emotional dependency he has on his "ritual" warm up does more harm than good. :shock:

To be fair to Rowuk, I understand what he's talking about. When I was younger, I had this whole extensive thing that I did - long tones, articulation, lip slurs, etc - it ran the whole range. These days if I have a gig, I'll get out my horn mid day and run through a couple of things, but it's mainly to get my air moving and to see what's going on with my chops on a particular day. I don't like to start a gig completely cold, but I really don't do any kind of extended warm up at all anymore. I do believe that a little bit of a warm up is a good thing - muscles require it in order to work efficiently and no matter what anyone says, you use the muscles of your face (and the muscles of your breathing apparatus) to play the trumpet. That's a fact, not opinion. But, my days of really working through everything are gone.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Where's the hose trumpet!!!??? :lol: