Favorite jazz musician (non-trumpet playing)?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Nov 23, 2010.

1. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Joe Pass

Diana Krawl

Lionel Hampton

Herb Ellis

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ella and Mel, with Joe Pass to accompany.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    List non exhaustive: Art Tatum, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, JJ Johnson, Gil Evans, Jacques Loussier, Django Reinhardt, Didier Lockwood, Charles Mingus, Bireli Lagrene, Angelo Debarre, Art Blakey and each and every one of the Jazz Messengers over the years, Astor Piazzola, Toots Thielemans, Ludovic Beier, Dave Brubeck, Stan Getz, Ray Baretto, Joao Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Elvin Jones, Pink Floyd, Uzeb, John Scofield, Joe Pass, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Boby Lapointe, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Ange, Carlos Santana, BB King, Machito, Tito Puente, Jacques Brel, Daniel Barenboim, Pepe Romero, Itzhak Perlman, Nathan Milstein, David Oistrakh, Wladimir Horowitz, Arthur Rubinstein, Jean Pierre Rampal, Karl Richter, Jose Van Dam, Sigiswald Kuijken, Marie Claire Alain, Luciano Pavarotti, and if I could give a hug to the entire Academy of St.Martin in the Fields, I would...

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for all the fantastic replys everyone! I'm discovering that, even though there aren't many clubs for jazz around here, we have two big CD stores with large jazz sections. Both owners are pretty knowledgeable and the first time I ventured away from trumpet players I was helped in picking out another Anita O'Day album with Oscar Petersen (no trumpets at all). It's the first one that I'll wear out. I tried again with a Billie Holliday recording from the 30's and was rewarded with a bunch of trumpet players, most whom I hadn't heard before, Charlie Shavers, Cootie Williams and others.

Jazz is very satisfying in that, when you find someone you really like, chances are good they've done a LOT of recording. Bravo to the jazz producers!!:play:

Turtle

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just heard a good ballad singer on a jazz radio station ...... Johnny Hartman.

Turtle

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    If I had to pick one, probably Wayne Shorter. I love his entire output from the Jazz Messenger days through his Blue Note years, Miles and Weather Report and beyond, up until last week was the last thing I heard. Others: Coltrane, Rollins, Parker, Lester Young. I've always had a thing for Bobby Hutcherson. Coleman Hawkins (notice a tenor theme here?). Keith Jarrett always does it for me, probably the best pianist alive. Tony Williams, especially his 80's and 90's bands, Ornette, Randy Weston, Max Roach. Oscar Pettiford. So many. I like anyone who's good.

7. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Of all the performers I've seen live, no one could hold an audience like Blossom Dearie.