Favorite Jazz Trumpet Players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dragon98987, May 3, 2010.

1. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    Hi I figured I'd start a thread where everyone shares the names of a few of their favorite jazz trumpet players. I don't want this thread to become a place where people are arguing about who is the "best". I would like it to be a place where people can learn about trumpet players that they have never heard of and find some more music to listen to.

So I'll start it off. One of my favorite jazz trumpeters is Sean Jones. I think he is absolutely phenomenal. I'd recommend any of his albums, but my favorite is his cd "Roots". If you ever get the chance to see him live definitely go, you won't be disappointed. I also really like Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, Wayne Bergeron, and Dizzy Gillespie. I would recommend Dizzy's cd Free Ride.

2. Genesis3003

Genesis3003 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2008
    North Dakota
    Adam Rapa did a song called "Song for Jozak", and it is a great song, but I don't know about the rest of his stuff. I really enjoy Clifford, Maynard, Bergeron, Severinsen, and Gillespie among others.

3. Jay-Eye

Jay-Eye New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Sunny Birmingham, UK
    Humphrey Lyttelton and Muggsy Spanier are doing it for me at the mo.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Dave Douglas, Ron Stout, Arturo Sandoval, Lew Soloff, Terence Blanchard and Nicholas Payton are my favourites. And of course the fantastic Norwegian trumpeter Mathias Eick. I recomend all of you jazz lovers to check out his record "The Door" from 2008. Awesome..

5. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Miles, Lee Morgan, Fats Navarro, Scott Tinkler(aussie) and heaps more

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima, (yes, really) Phil Driscoll, Cat Anderson, just off the top of my head. Of course, there's always myself, too, but I'm much too humble to say so.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maynard Ferguson - and I'm not talking Maynard from the 70s-90s, I'm talking Maynard from the 50s and 60s, and then again in his early Big Bop Nouveau era.

Another one of my favorites is Doc Severinsen. And then there was Harry James. As you can see, I'm kind of a Big Band guy rather than for combo jazz.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    And we better not forget our TM buddy Trent Austin.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Not known for jazz is Tim Morrison. His recent release, After Hours, is smooth jazz or even easy listening. Nothing frantic or progressive, just great tunes, well engineered. What is remarkable is his sound, which I will be attempting to emulate as long as I live.

veery

10. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    There probably isn't a week goes by without me listening to Wynton Marsalis on his CD "Standards and Ballads".
    Great music
    -Bobby