Favorite/least favorite method book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Leslie Colonello, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    For the sake of brevity, name only one book in each category.

I'll start. My favorite, for many reasons, but the main reason is it's lyrical quality. SACHSE 100 exercises. I love this book and am still stymied by it's demands for facility, precision and flexibility. Beautiful, symphonic, satisfying.

My least favorite by a mile is CARMINE CARUSO's Musical Calisthenics for Brass. It's the most torturous, exhausting, beat you over the head with what you can't do 47 exercises. His 4 steadfast rules for playing his method will put your embouchure (and confidence) back in grade school. It's like lifting weights for the embouchure. It took me weeks to realize I simply couldn't do it past 10 exercises of 47. A real wake up call for cocky guys like me. Your results may differ.

2. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    While I am sure this will seem astoundingly unimaginative: Arban

If I were to be stuck with just one, its the only method that offers the ability to take a student from very basic skills to solid - solid enough that anyone who masters all of it should be able at that point to devise their own exercises building on that foundation, as dictated by their own situation and needs.

I have no least-favorite. Everything has its uses, even if only for the sake of variety.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, there's nothing that will take your trumpet ego down a notch any better than trying to play music/exercises that are currently beyond your ability. Those are the ones you need to work on during part of your practice time, though, not the stuff that you can blow through with ease.

My favorite is still probably the Arban's Method, just because of the wide variety of technical exercises and songs it contains. The least favorite is Schlossberg because it's not very musical, but it is one of the most beneficial methods for range and flexibility. Sometimes, the best medicine doesn't taste very good... ;-) .

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Schlossberg was and still is a huge part of my practice routine, because, as you pointed out, Dale, for range and flexibility. I needed a lot of that for my comeback.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    I would also give my voice for Arban, because of it is versatility and melodic character. Along with Merri Franquin (I haven't work a lot on it, but at first glance I like it) and the Warm Ups from the middle Claude Rippas and Clarke.

I never really liked Schlossberg, Stamp and Collins, though they made me progress at one point.

6. Chuck Rose

Chuck Rose Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    Looks like I made the right choice. I went to the local library to find they had nothing at all for brass. Lots of piano and guitar books on the shelf, but nothing for me so I ordered Arban's from Amazon. Received two. Donated one to the Library.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As a favorite, definitely Arban's - it has a lot of everything you need - everything from basic technical drills, to lyrical etudes, to solos and characteristics studies that only someone with virtuosic technique and adequately play.

For a least favorite, I never liked Schlossberg or Irons, mainly because for me they are difficult.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :D Most favorite, Arbans! Least favorite, Arbans! I'm with Patrick, I hate the ones I can't play! ;-) I do have a book that is good BUT, the pages are too small. 1 inch margins? Puhleeeeze....

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Favorite: Arban's - It'll cure what ails ya.

Least Favorite: - Don't know. It's among quite a few virtually untouched and forgotten exercise books in a box in a closet.

10. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    Of course my Arbans has been re-spined and re-covered three times to date. It is the bible but the SACHSE was the first book I had to buy in College. It has beautifully composed exercises.