Favorite Non-Trumpet Music

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Jimi Michiel, Sep 25, 2005.

What do you listen to more?

1. Music featuring trumpet (or cornet or whatever else you play)

100.0%
  2. Music featuring instruments you do not play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey all,
    I made a mix CD for a young student of mine who is just starting to play the trumpet in hopes of keeping his intrest up whil he is learning the very basics of music and playing the trumpet. I put a bunch of trumpet stuff on there (Pictures, Mahler 5, Carnival of Venice, Maynard's Chameleon, etc...) I then decided that I would try to give the kid a broader view so I included the Shostakovich Cello Concerto. This got me to thinking, what non-trumpet classical music does everyone enjoy?
    They can be compositions, specific recordings, performers, you name it... Here's my shortened top 3 (by top, I mean the first three that come to mind):
    1) anything Rostropovich does (Bach, Shostakovich...)
    2) anything by Ligheti, especially the piano etudes and works for wind 5tet
    3) Debussy piano preludes

-Jimi

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I like a lot of solo piano music, from Mozart and Beethoven right through to Ravel and Debussy.

Just stay away from saxophone quartets. HOOOWWWWLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I like a lot of solo piano music, from Mozart and Beethoven right through to Ravel and Debussy.

Just stay away from saxophone quartets. HOOOWWWWLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I listen to lots of strings, piano and a good deal of vocalists. I also consider an orchestra "one instrument" and that I love most of all.

I do not listen to saxophones, organs or harpsichords. LOL. :twisted:

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Alex,
    I agree 100 percent with the whole sax thing, assuming that you mean classical saxophonists. If you're telling me that you don't like John Coltrane, then we might have to move this one into the cage. :bleah:
    -Jimi

PS. Ligeti has a really cool piece out for solo harpsichord called "Continuum." I will say only that this piece is really friggin cool.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes Jimi...I did mean classical saxophone. Jazz, that's a whole 'nother story. :-) So, don't get your boxing gloves on just yet. :-P

I can take harpsichord in small doses, but when I was a freshman in college, I attended a harpsichord recital of Bach's "Goldberg Variations" so I could get double recital credits. It about drove me to insanity and wasn't worth the extra credit! LOL. On the other hand, I love the Forte-piano. Hearing the literature written for that instrument actually played on that instrument (rather than on regular piano) is fantastic in its clarity.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Opera, no contest. Almost anything sung hits my heart in a good place.

ML

8. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I enjoy listening to piano...Monk,Jarrett (His "moaning" while he plays is something I had to get used to.) Cecil Taylor, Fats Waller, Butch Thompson. I am also very into Saxaphone. Trane, Bird, Sonny Rollins. and Bass. Jaco Pastorius, Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Mingus,Stanley Clarke,Percy Jones.

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I listen to lots of stuff in addition to trumpet music. Jazzwise, I love Branford Marsalis, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Pat Metheney; I am captivated by the work of Philip Glass (Koyaanisquatsii, Einstein on the Beach in particular); mezzo soprano Christa Ludwig; soprano Dawn Upshaw; Marcus Roberts (man...what he does with rhythm and phrasing is astounding); Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Yes; Rush (their drummer is just incredible); Rickie Lee Jones (her voice is one of the most versitle I've heard); Loreena McKennitt (hope I spelled it right...).

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I go through big swings in what I listen to. I'll listen to everything from Bach to Rock! Recently, most of what I listen to is contemporary Christian worship music. Artists such as Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Third Day, Casting Crowns, David Crowder, Charlie Hall....those folks.

I also really like good electric guitar stuff, as well as a fair bit of classic rock where I like the drummer - Rush (Neil Peart) and AC/DC (Phil Rudd) are two that immediately come to mind.