Favorite Petrouchka recording?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Alex Yates, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It's a toughie, but I have to go with Dutoit - Montreal - 1987 - Jim Thompson. So much style and flair!

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    alex:

ansermet/london phil/1947 because i can hear the inner workings of the orchestra, esp the trpts, so very well.

as far as the solo, i don't know. everyone seems so good. in my collection i have;

herseth
    nagel
    vacchiano
    malcom arnold
    thompson
    i have the monteux/boston also, but i don't know if voisin played it or not...it sounds a bit smoother to me. maybe you know the answer?

dj

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I like the Boulez recording with Cleveland, Mike Sachs sounds great! :D

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

If that is the Cleveland recording that I heard on the radio several years ago, that is mine also. I think that it is.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow DJ, you have a bigger selection in your collectiont than I! I put up this post because I wanted to see all of the recordings folks have and perhaps pick up a "new" copy based on what everyone else says about theirs. Of course, everyone on your list sounds great. I was just curious as to what player or orchestra turns us on. For me, the Montreal recording is not only because of Jim, but the entire orchestra shimmers. Classic Montreal in their day.

The first one you listed is a very interesting one, I have never heard it. Is it available on CD? Could you possibly list the years and conductors with the others you have? I would really appreciate it.

I actually have Boston/Monteaux on vinyl. The recording date is 1960 which means it SHOULD be Voison. I have been meaning to pick up a copy on CD if it is available.

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Brian...
    That's not....

Oh never mind!

Happy New Year!

Chuck

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That was soooooo awful and funny! ROFL

It made my eyes water! I am still laughing!!!! Thanks Brian! I needed that!

Hey Chuck! Happy New Year! Glad to see you made it home safely. :-)

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    DJ - thank you for the information on your comprehensive list. I like the variety you have there.

I just did the Pepsi Challenge with Chompson and Sachs. (I don't understand to this day how a CD can be so widely distributed with the WRONG spelling of Jim's name..... :noway: ).

They are both EXCELLENT recordings. The interpretations were polar opposites and the tempo was quite a bit faster with Dutoit. This is a perfect example of how there can be two very different recordings of a wonderful piece and both can be equally admired and compelling. Mmmmmmmmm.....I love this stuff. The orchestral repertoire always has been and always will be my first love. :wub: