Favorite piece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rythemgrl, Mar 15, 2007.

1. rythemgrl

rythemgrl New Friend

Mar 14, 2007
    Ok so its a broad question, but what is your favorite performance/ piece and why? Im looking to branch out and would love to hear some suggestions

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What kind of music?

-cw-

3. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    If you've never heard it, listen to Aaron Copeland's Quiet City. It's a beautiful piece. There is a lot of good concert music out there. The Tomasi Concerto for Trpt is also fantastic and accessible as a listener. In the Jazz realm, Maynard Ferguson's Danny Boy still gives me goose bumples. A fun listen (again old stuff) if you can find a copy of Have Conns will Travel, a promotional album that Don Jacoby did for Conn Instruments (BTW the guy who sat next to me in H.S. played a "Conn Artist"; really, no joke) in the 50's. It's an example of his artistry and a completly fun listen.

T. Mac

4. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I pplayed Quiet City years ago for an exam, think I'll get it out again.

5. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    Orchestra - It's a toss up between Scheherazade and Rodeo
    Band/Wind Ensemble - Again, toss up: Robert Russel Bennett's "Suite of Old American Dances" (I know, I'm a big nerd) and Festive Overture (transcription, the 4th trumpet part doubles the clarnets most of the time, sick!)
    Solo - There's too much great rep out there to pick one, so I'll just go with the one I'm working on now: the Bozza Caprice
    Jazz - Maynard Ferguson's "Carnival"

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    (Pssssssst, John....in the Wind Ensemble Reperptoire category I am big fan of this piece as well. We played it and these others in my high school wind ensemble and three summers in Governer's Honors wind ensembles. My band director, a gifted trombone player, took weeks to beat the 'swing' into the clarinets. LOL. That piece is sooooo much fun to play!) Percy Grainger's Lincolnshire Posy and Colonial Song are big favorites too......but then I can't leave out the Holst Suites either. Soooo, I guess that makes me a major league nerd. I spent my high school days listening to Eastman Wind Ensemble recordings too.

(and I simply adore Four Scottish Dances by Sir Malcom Arnold! To this day I can't sit still when I hear that piece.)

7. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    Hmm . . . this changes every day or so but at this very minute:

Orchestra: Mahler 2
    Wind Ensemble: Tulsa A Symphonic Portrait in Oil, Don Gillis
    Solo: Goedicke Concerto (not the etude)
    Jazz: Doin the Oriental Boban Markovic/Frank London

8. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    (pssst, Alex. The trick is to beat the swing into the clarinets in the schottische and to beat the swing OUT of the trumpets in the ragtime!) We played Four Scottish Dances at all-states last year. The horns were unreal in that first movement. The director had the whole horn section stand up and take a bow at the end. I had to sit behind them for the whole thing...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Favorite piece; Hindemith: Mathis der Maler
    Favorite performance; Don Ellis Orchestra, "Indian Lady" (Autumn Album)

Wow! Wow again!

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Those Scottish Dances are fantastic, I have to admit to preferring the original orchestral version though (and if you want a serious challenge, get hold of the brass band transcription!!).
    The rest of his dances are well worth checking out as well (especially the two sets of English and the Cornish).

As for personal favourtie pieces, I can hoestly say that I don't have one absolute favourite, it changes on a regular basis (there are times when only a certain piece will do) - it will also depend on whether I am thinking as a performer, teacher or audience member.

Possibly my current fave (or at least, the one that is being played most) is The Claim of the Ideal (written and recorded by Rex Richardson), from his new album Jazz Upstairs (available from Summit Records - well worth checking out).