Favorite Soloist.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trjeam, Mar 7, 2006.

1. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    Hi Manny, I've been listening to accuradio.com/classical trumpet soloist channel and everyone on their sounds great to me. I specially enjoy Mr. Jenns Lidemann and Rolf Smedvig (two trumpeter who I had never heard of before).

I'm wondering who are some of your favorite trumpet soloist (in the orchestral world) and what do you think makes someone a great soloist?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jorge,

I have a few favorites that inspire me to practice.

Maurice André is at the top of the list for his ability to transcend the quirky characteristics of the piccolo trumpet and make music that is inspiring to any kind of musician.

Rafael Mendez typifies the kind of work ethic we should all aspire to. His ability to play difficult solos with a heartfelt quality make me want to practice everytime I hear his records.

Timofey Dokshitzer is like Mendez: an impeccable practicer who plays from the heart and with brains. He played more classical music than Mendez did and it's nice to hear that repertoire with the Russian style of trumpet playing. Very impassioned and violinistic.

Gerry Schwarz was an early influence for me and a way for me to hear a Vacchiano student that was relatively fresh out of school play on a regular basis. he was very musical and not afraid to try a variety of effects to get across what he believed, wrong or right.

Sergei Nakariakov is a sensational trumpeter who has grown into a superb musician. I heard a record of him playing a Haydn cello concerto that made me forget most of the cellists I've heard play that particular piece.

Those are the ones I like. I may be leaving out some but that's who comes to mind right now.

ML

3. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    great taste in trumpeters...when i first heard sergei's recording of "Intro and Rhondo" i almost squeezed one out...that guy is absolutely amazing!

4. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Manny - What are your favorite Maurice Andre and Gerry Schwarz recordings (playing - not conducting) ?

Thanks in advance

Seth Moore

5. BFlinch83

BFlinch83 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Nakariakov's "No Limit" is an awesome recording!!!

How about Hakan Hardenberger?? He's a fantastic trumpeter. The CD of him playing the Arvo Part and Eino Tamberg is fantastic (as are most of the others).

Brent

6. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Manny wrote: "Maurice André is at the top of the list for his ability to transcend the quirky characteristics of the piccolo trumpet and make music that is inspiring to any kind of musician."

Yep, I still remember prodding a double bass player to listen some Andre cuts in the music school library long ago. This guy--now a long respected orchestral pro--kinda got an amazed look on his face, and commented, "It's not obnoxious like a regular trumpet!"

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There are too many André albums I couldn't live without hearing. My favorite of Gerry's is the Cornet Favorites he recorded when i was in school.

ML