Favorite type of water key?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Mar 6, 2010.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    What's your favorite type of water key? Personally, I'm a fan of amado. I've yet to try saturn water keys though. Opinions?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    To let the water out I like the standard. To have a water key and still have the trumpet play properly I like the Amado.

3. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Really? I feel like the water keys on my Bach take a lot more effort than amados. It's so bad sometimes that I have to remove my tuning slides and empty them.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Then you need to clean them

5. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    I clean my horn once a month, I did just last week.

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I like the lever type on my old Getzen. You can find it without taking your eyes off the music. Or the cute piano player.

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Hahaha, I think you can find any water key without taking your eyes off the music! ROFL I love amado!!

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    What Joe said. The Lever gets the water out. Amado (alledgedly) helps the help play better, but they are not as good, functionally.

This is a may be a stupid question, but how the Saturn keys work? I haven't seen one in person. They attract a little too much visual attention for my taste.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  9. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My flugal (Jupiter) has amados, and they don't seem to work very well there. It seems like the bell loop has too little resistance to push any air out those little holes.

I have trumpets with standard, amado, and saturn water keys. I think that they all function well enough. It is just going to be a personal preference. The Saturn keys work OK, are reasonably easy to clean, but are kind of in your face noticeable. I love the horn that they are on, but don't know if I would do them again.

10. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    As Pedal C said, can you explain the Saturn water keys to me?