favorite warm-up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 28, 2005.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I used to use a tuba mouthpiece to warm down on, after a killer gig or whatever.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have been using a bass trumpet mouthpiece for the same purpose. I find it works pretty well for a warm down.

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    You know, I have an old Bach Tuba mouthpiece that somehow ended up in my car console one day. I think I'll start seeing if that works....

Van

4. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    MMcourt
    Bravo on the Sachs book!
    HD

5. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Were you trying to park in a handicapped spot?

6. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    - Lip 'Horse' Flaps for about 30 secs
    - Thompson Book, Ex 1-4
    - Teacher's Modified V. C. I & II - Flow studies book
    - My own little 'range extension' exercise .. ie .. c-g-c-e-g-ccc-d-c-g-e-c-g-c-b-c, down chromatically
    - Clark Studies # 2, 3, & 4
    - Sometimes depending how 'stiff' I am - (Irons Book #6,7,8,9), Ligotti Flexability exercises
    - Scales, major & minor (3 or each, each day)

Break ...

Then to the 'meaty' stuff the rest of the day.

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have been using a few of the Exercise from Charles Vernon book “the singing trombone†for my warm up the past two weeks and noticed much improvement in my playing from just these few simple exercises. Exercises 1-3 have really helped solidify some upper register articulation things for me, as well as given me a more flexible sound. 4 and 5 have helped get a much smoother sound and address some of the concepts discussed by John Hagstrom in his latest internet article ( http://jayfriedman.net/reflections/20050208Trumpeting_Jay_Friedman.php ).

I had been on a plateau lately but a little bit of change in the warm up has helped get things jump started again and zero in on another level of detail.

8. Paul Rogers

Paul Rogers New Friend

Jan 14, 2005
  9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I like that one as well! :D

10. tx trpt

tx trpt New Friend

Jul 29, 2004
    Caruso six notes and harmonic series, then some of the etudes from the Total Trumpet book by Michael Davis. Each of the 13 etudes in the book is demonstrated on a CD. The performers are Phil Smith, Randy Brecker and Jim Hynes.