favorite William Vacchiano recordings or concerts

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by dizforprez, Sep 22, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    With his passing this week I have been thinking a lot about his playing. The NYP recording of Mahler 2 was one of the first legit recordings I owned. I loved his playing on that one so much that I listened to it everyday for 3 months!

So that got me thinking:

What your (and everyone else’s) favorite recordings or concerts of Mr. Vacchiano?

2. KevininGeorgia

KevininGeorgia New Friend

Dec 15, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Mahler 5 with Bruno Walter Conducting.. I also have Mahler 5 with Bernstein but there is something about the old recording with Bruno Walter conducting.

It's also nice to be able to talk to someone that knows so much about Vacchiano. Albert Ligotti and I have spent hours talking about Walter, Bernstein and of course Vacchiano.. I talked to him the other day and of course being a student, colleague and friend of Vacchiano he is very upset.

3. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Mr. Ligotti was my teacher when I was in high school. Wonderful man and teacher. I know he is deeply touched by Mr. Vacchiano's passing. Please convey my regards to him.

I think my favorite Vacchiano is Bernstein conducting his music from "On the Waterfront" Then again, I have a lot of favorite Vacchiano recordings.

Larry Malin

4. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    Vacchiano himself used to like to mention his recording of mahler's 7th, with Bernstein. He said that the opening to the 5th mvt. came out "like a bullet", because he used a D trumpet. It is, in fact, frightening. Vacchiano at his best, was simply unmatchable.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I had forgotten all about that one! i have it around here somewhere but cant seem to find it :-(