Fayetteville, NC / Pawnshops / Trumpet shopping

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, May 2, 2014.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anyone familiar with Fayetteville NC pawnshops

I'm going there this weekend and since there are so many pawnshops in Fayetteville, I thought I'd spend a few hours looking around to see if I can find any interesting instruments.

But maybe someone else knows enough to suggest that it's not worth the time because the selection isn't that great, or that the good ones are snatched up too quickly.

Thoughts?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It is the home of the 82nd Airborne. Don't know what you'll find but most are in the seedy part of town. Not really for the family. Had a relative stationed there and visited. Would make the boys read while driving through some parts of town.

3. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've been to Fayetteville before (same thing.. relative stationed with the Army) However, I've never visited the MANY pawnshops. Hoping all those young soldiers need money and are pawning the beautiful horns their parents bought them in high school.

4. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I live in Fayetteville, and perhaps can give a better response. Yes, there are a good number of pawnshops, but not really in the seedy parts of town...just those parts of town that cater to the predominantly young, single, male military population. You know, strip clubs, bars, motorcycles, liquor stores, etc. But those are not the bad parts of Fayetteville, just colorful. The pawnshops I have looked in have not been home to any great trumpet finds. And there are no good locations for looking/buying new horns around here, either.

Fort Bragg is home to the 82nd Air Born, and the guys in that band are pretty solid players. They sometimes show up at our community band, and let me tell you they can play the hell out of a Sousa march. Good guys, and probably better than me.

The Army Ground Forces Band (FORSCOM) is also stationed at Fort Bragg, and those guys are awesome musicians. Well worth seeing if you ever have the chance.

Harrelson Summit Bflat (LP1, B6)
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Harrelson Bravura Bflat
    Conn Vintage One Bflat
    Selmer Radial Bflat
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack flugel
    Getzen Eterna 800 Bflat cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc

and a drawer full of mouthpieces. Currently using a Monette B4S S3 Prana, GR 66FL, GR 663C.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

What a humanitarian your relative was. Someone had to keep their eyes open while driving through all that reality of moral digression.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The relative was me. The colorful sections are seedy for an 8 & 6 year old. ;-)

7. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks. I'm here, so I'll probably poke around a bit. My nephew is organizing the Fort Bragg Marathon this weekend, and I'm going to help out; but I'll have some spare time tomorrow to poke around town.

Would love to hear the Army band sometime.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Antique / Flea Markets are more likely to have some type of TSO! Happy Hunting!