featuring the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jun 19, 2014.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Why do you think the trumpet isn't featured as much as in years past on pop tunes? I can recall Al Hirt had "Sugar Lips", "Cotton Candy", and who can forget the Herb Alpert turning out one hit after another. Chris Botti is popular know, but there isn't one song you can identify him too. Am I showing my age, or is this the way the music industry has become.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I suggest that its a matter of changing tastes and technology over time. Al Hirt and Herb Alpert were big influences for me too, but then I'm nearly 62 years old.

Jim

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When someone can hook a horn to auto-tune, it could make an impact. Trumpet playing takes serious amounts of dedication, the kind needed to get to level 9483 with super power upgrades for immortality. I could but won't rant. You know the tune anyway! ;-)

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ....because excellence is now viewed as elitist, and discriminatory toward those unable to find their a**e with both hands.

Sorry, but that's today's world.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you seriously asking the question why song styles from 1964 (Cotton Candy/Sugar Lips) and 1965 (TJB - Whipped Cream and Other Delights) don't seem to be relevant today? The one thing that never changes is that nothing ever stays the same.

Instrumental stuff is not completely gone, but styles have definitely changed for contemporary pop music, although I will say that I was pleased by the success of "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities, even though the trumpet on that is highly processed.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention synthesized "trumpet". Even amongst trumpeters, some can't tell.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    IMO, there's a pendulum, a cycle, and it will return. It has to, doesn't it? Instruments that seemed to have faded will come back when someone makes it the thing for the moment.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi songbook,
    The answer(s) are painfully obvious:
    1. Beginning with Sinatra and the Dorsey Band, the hot attractive singers began to be the soloists.
    2. Most people don't have a command of the trumpet. They sound blatty (one of my big pet peeves) they play screaming high notes on every song, or really fast complicated progressions that feel like a three hour Algebra course. I equate this to musical masterbation and only one person is being satisfied. High, fast and loud are three facets of the horn........just three.
    3. Trumpet players play too damned bright!!! Spectrally, I don't want to hear a lot of upper overtones. I like a balance.
    4. Trumpet players do not know how(or encouraged) to develop their own sound or "voice". They sound just like the guy/gal beside them. I went to a brass function last year and every college trumpet player sounded the same. It felt like the Twilight Zone or something. Gosh to have the goal of sounding like everyone else isn't (will never be) my idea of a good time.
    5. They can't play pop. They often feel it's beneath them when in actuality, the song is often too big and they can't handle it. In today's world you have to be able to play along with Ariana Grande and Jay-Z and, play Bach and Ellington. Many have not expanded their musical library.
    Dr.Mark

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I have a totally different take on it. I think it's just this simple - the saxophone has a more direct communication with the average listener.

When it comes to instrumental music, guitar is king. When it comes to wind instruments, the sax is king. It reproduces the sound and styling of guitarists more closely than the trumpet and has more human qualities.

Additionally, how many trumpet players are really adaptable to pop styles? Many think they are, but they still sound like jazzers or cross-over players under the veil of pop. Oh, did I mention? Pop is also king.

Listen to many of the bands with horn sections and compare the trumpet solos to the sax and guitar solos and IMO they're fairly lame. A lot of screeching, jazz patterns. It's almost as if they just can't break out of a jazz-background mode. I was listening to Tower of Power the other day and both Lenny Pickett (sax) and one of the trumpet players took solos. The trumpet just didn't have many ideas or style when compared to Pickett.

The most successful trumpet players who have been able to create excitement and interest in a pop idiom actually aren't even playing pop, they're playing funk, e.g. Trombone Shorty.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, short of big band, or a backup orchestra of well founded harmony, trumpeters are not adept when playing the genre of popular music with rare exceptions. The truth is that currently the common populace doesn't financially support big bands and orchestras like they use too.