Feedback and info on the BERP Please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aeguy010, Mar 14, 2010.

1. aeguy010

aeguy010 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    ohio
    I have seen several people talk about the BERP for the trumpet. what feedback can you provide on this product

any additional benefits you have seen in your playing with adding this to your practice routine.

2. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    I find that the berp makes it easier for me to buzz actual pitches when I am working on something. There is a connection between the pitch and depressing the correct valve that I seem to loose if I only use the mouthpiece. I really confused a clarinet player as she could not figure out how the valves made the pitch change.

3. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    The advantage of the BERP over other ways of m/p buzzing is that you adopt the exact posture and embouchure that you use on trumpet. So you can therefore concentrate on the exercise/phrase to be buzzed and develop good habits when buzzing.

4. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    I've had the BERP for about 2 months, and I've found that it's helped me develop more control over my buzzing and, as scaramanga said, it benefits to have the same posture when you're buzzing as when you are playing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    it is not magic. It is not better than practicing the trumpet. It is not better than buzzing. It is easier for some than buzzing only on the mouthpiece. If it makes you practice more, then it is a solution.

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    It's pretty good for pitch accuracy, because if you play a song on the mouthpiece only, you have to buzz the note you play, rather than getting close to the note and letting the horn do the work.
    But you've gotta be dedicated to it, I got bored with it pretty quick, just like I do with a lot of other things.

7. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    I like the berp! The bit of added resistance helps the buzz. I use it about 4-5 times a week for about 10-15 minutes. It really helps my tone production tremendously, like buzzing on the mouthpiece alone would.

8. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I disagree - I think using the BERP has advantages as I stated in my first post. Otherwise, why would James Thompson recommend it in his book? Buzzing has also developed my tone better than just practice on the trumpet. It should of course not be a replacement but an addition.

9. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    I think the BERP is a good tool that isn't 100% necessary, for some people, they enjoy being able to buzz and finger the trumpet, others like me prefer to buzz and finger on my thumb than hold the trumpet. For those that like the open buzz AND finger the trumpet, I have been seeing more and more Buzz Buddy's.
    I asked an older student at my school who uses a Buzz Buddy the advantage of it over the BERP: basically, he said it allows you to buzz openly to get the smooth air flow over using the resistance dial on the BERP that keeps you from practicing a smooth flow of air. Aesthetically, the Buzz Buddy goes IN the mouthpiece receiver instead of around it which occasionally scratches it. For sanity reasons, it's easier just to buzz open than have to fiddle with the resistance dial forever in a day to match it to the resistance of your trumpet.
    If it means anything to you, James Stamp had his students focus on have a slightly airy, fluffy tonal color on the mouthpiece to prevent excess tension in the lips-with a BERP you can't create this tonal color.
    As for me, I mostly do open buzzing but occasionally use the BERP for one of two reasons: 1. I don't own a Buzz Buddy, 2. Sometimes I have trouble playing a high or low note with the back-pressure of my Strad and buzzing with the resistance helps fix that for me.

10. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    I got the B.E.R.P. for three specific reasons:
    1. By adjusting the BERP's resistance to simulate the trumpet, you also overcome the acoustics of just-the-mouthpiece where there is a huge gap between approx. high D and higher notes which makes it hard to deliberately buzz pitches above high D.
    2. I get less drool on myself with the BERP, maybe because I'm not pushing as much air volume (due to the more trumpet-like resistance combined with my own shortcomings).
    3. If you don't want to use a practice mute, the BERP is a relatively quiet way to buzz and finger at the same time.