Feedback.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've always thought that, the better you can hear what you're doing, in any given musical situation, the better you can play. Is there any way to get MORE feedback out of your trumpet, or are you stuck with the compromise the manufacturer came up with (feedback vs projection)?

One of the reasons I like the Connstellation so much is that it provides better and more feedback than any other trumpet I have. Not just sound, but more vibration in your face.

Is there any way to improve feedback?

Turtle

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Try a trumpet with extra heavy tubing from leadpipe through leadpipe with a
    thin but rigid bell, well, kinda like my Carol Brass 658 with a thin wall gold brass bell.
    Its an excellent balance of projection and feedback. Most of the feedback comes from the bell, which is preferable IMO.

http://www.bethanybrass.com/Images/658RT01.jpg
    http://www.bethanybrass.com/Images/658RT02.jpg

Oh, and also, you might consider a Carol Brass pocket trumpet.
    With the bell only 9 inches from your face that's a lot of feedback!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Someone has suggested to me to practice playing towards a 48" mirror skinned concave resin reflector. I just haven't been able to find one. Seems to me that that they made a mistake anyway, but a convex security mirror didn't work either. What the heck, I'd not have such in performance, so why should I practice with such? Even audio earphones scrambles the truth.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Well, that's just it ....... where the sound comes from a trumpet (out the bell) is too far away and pointed in the wrong direction.:dontknow: What kind of design is that???

What about taking a Diz bell that's pointed up towards the ceiling and just keep bending it until the bell is pointing at the player.:-)

Now, THAT would be some good feedback, no?

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just get a trumpet built in the fashion of a tuba / baritone / euphonium with a swivel bell forward, the body type not marching type, then swivel it toward your ear and hope you've a sound supressor in the ear to prevent harm. Many is the time I've had to swivel my Conn artist euphonium away from the forward position and away from my ear, especially on solos.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Ed. That's a good idea. I suppose it would reduce your overall volume somewhat.:lol:

Turtle

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    My first band director suggested practicing in a bathroom--lots of hard, flat surfaces to reflect sound. Typically small, playing in the bathroom also encourages playing softly. You might give something like that a try.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You want more feedback - play louder.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

Why didn't I think of that? The best solutions are usually the simplest, right?

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Get a Getzen Eterna 900 with a tilted bell! Really!! The feedback is awesome, and it projects like nothing else! All the horns I have and it is the best player by far.:thumbsup: