Feeling Old

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jul 4, 2011.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I was walking down a hill on the side walk going to the gig with my trumpet in my hand. Because of where we were playing I had to leave the case in the car. I twisted my ankle and fell. As I was going down I watched my trumpet sliding down the side walk. Fortunately, it was the Bach and not the Monette. However the Monette mouthpiece was in there. Now the Bach has a bent bell and the mouthpiece has road rash. I feel so old. I didn't break a hip but I am achy and my wrists hurts. I have to play and march today. Who knows how that will happen.

2. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ouch! Like Bill Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain!". I'm 48, and some days I swear I'm 60 - other days I feel like I'm 25. Getting older s*cks.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Wait until you are 75, like I am. Almost any mobility is restricted in some way. I just got out of the hospital with a case of congestive heart failure. I still intend to play in at least two concert bands. "It ain't over till it's over".

OLDLOU>>

4. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Man, that really sucks! Nothing worse than hurting youself AND your gear. I have to tell this one...

A friend and I, both in our late 50's went into a gig one evening. Nice place...band in tuxes, etc. We were to play a dinner set and then for dancing the rest of the night. It was bright sunny day and our eyes hadn't adjusted yet to the dim lights of the club. There were a few steps we had to go down to get from street level to the dance floor and my buddy lost his footing and fell down the steps...cases flying. I helped him up and we tried to laugh it off in front of all the people there dining...observing us. We felt like Lauel and Hardy. Then, we went over to the stage and we had to go up these little pie shaped steps (the kind that get smaller as you go up)... he lost his balance again and came over backwards on me. He tried to grab a front/stand to stop his fall and it came too...music everywhere. I overheard 2 older women, who were there eating, say, " well, the band's drunk already".

5. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    :lol: Great story!

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Nonsense! I'm late fifties and just got a 40 y/o girlfriend.

Trumpet keeps me young.

(first post)

coolerdave likes this.
  7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Way to go Local357!!

Sorry for your misadventure B15, that really sucks. It just brings to attention the necessity of staying fit and healthy (and low weight, easier on ankles, knees, hips and spine). I'm turning 45 in August and can still swim 1500 m in less than 24 minutes or complete a 5 miles run at 8 min a mile. It's worth keeping up. Maintains coordination and alertness and if one does get injured, gives a more favorable terrain for healing.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    so you are telling us you have someone to carry your horn?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    "fortunately it was the Bach"????? yeah I get it... not the Monette.. but FORTUNATELY IT WAS THE BACH??? AAAUUUGGGGHH

glad you are okay...

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    No, he's telling us why he's tired all the time... :-)