feeling shattered

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Feb 15, 2015.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I sold my first Stradivarius Model 37 to pay bills. A sad day. Big mistake. The stupidity of youth, in my case.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    We've all been there, I think. Leaves an ache and feeds the fire to NEVER need to go there again. My sympathies for your loss.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I've thought of selling guitars to fund trumpets, but I don't think I could part with any brass

4. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    I have been there. French Besson, 47 Olds Super, and, and

What I have now, I didn't have then. Would love that Super back, but What comes, comes. Horns are an odd sort of savings account. I hope I never need it, but if I do, it's there. WAY BETTER than cars, not as good as real estate.

5. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hoping you got what you paid for it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This for sure is no place for judgement.

Decisions on instruments for many of us are lifetime investments. The planning for such needs to insure that the foreseeable is covered at the same time. We can use this example to examine our own motivation and means - especially if we suffer with the n+1 syndrome............

7. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia

no where near it

thanks for all of your kind thoughts guys

at least I still have my Trumpet ,it's a one of a kind

8. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wait. One of a kind? sort of like a harley? I have a Lowrider. Thanks for asking!

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Sad day for you, but I do understand, and sadly in Australia times are getting tougher for many.

Rent, Utilities, transport, Medicare, petrol, Rego, and lastly food. There are plenty of people suffering.
    We are growing our own vegies, and baking out own bread.

Horns and N+1 priorities becomes just swings and round-abouts in the bigger scheme of things. Feeding and educating the family becomes the priority for many.

Keep your spirits up, these times will pass, and only help you to endure. Sooooo... Up the Big Red Rooster!!!

10. Consordino

Consordino Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Me too. Mine was a Bach 229 C that I chose to sell for earnest money on our first house, almost 30 years ago now. Don't laugh, but I eventually replaced it with.....don't laugh..... a Selman (no, not SELMER....Selman!....you know, that almost forgotten little Chinese horn... with the cleaning cloth and the white gloves???). Actually, that little Selman has turned out to be a half-way decent horn! Obviously not near the quality or the caliber of the Bach, but I only paid $109.00 for the thing. And as I have said before, it fills the occasional need for a C and it was affordable. IMHO, the things in this life that we choose to attach ourselves to is strictly overrated! One doesn't always need the biggest or the best or the newest. If you would have asked me that 30 years ago, my answer would probably have been different. Dan:-)