felt mutes?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by bigthemat, Apr 7, 2005.

1. bigthemat

bigthemat Pianissimo User

Mar 25, 2005
    hey hey,

I am going on tour as many of you know with my wind band in a few weeks. I have a song with flugel, and it is going to be a big hassle to check out a school flugel for the tour and everything (insurance ppaers, etc...).

so my director told me to figure something out. My prof said use a felt mute. He let me borrow one, but I have an old felt hat and figured I would make one myself.

The way his is made is different than I have seen. The ones I am used to are the um, Crown something Wiskey felt bags that you tighten over the bell.

His is just a bowl shaped piece of felt. but there is a slit on the edge, and you just put the bell rim in the cut.

so, which is better? I can cut the slits just as easy as I could sew a seam kind of thing and put in a string.

thanks a bunch.

2. Z4ME

Z4ME New Friend

May 22, 2005
    Check on Ebay for a baffle mute. They make one for trumpet and one for trombone. Depending on the bell diameter of your fugel, the trombone version might work. The Royal Crown bags do work for trumpet but the baffle mute is far superior IMO.

Hope this helps!

DJ

3. adrienne

adrienne New Friend

Sep 20, 2005