Felts - where to get online?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dkrice, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    I recently bought a used Bach TR300. It appears to have been played quite a bit and taken care of well. It's got a couple of small inconsequential dings but it plays well. The first thing I did once I cleaned it was order a set of felts and corks and replaced them. The action's a lot quieter now and it doesn't leak onto my socks any longer while I'm playing. However, I've found that if I'm playing a fairly fast line that the finger buttons bottom out. Does anyone have a line on a good online supplier for felts I can put in the underside of the finger buttons? I'd rather not buy a whole tune-up kit again if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Professor FFF

Professor FFF New Friend

Mar 23, 2010
    Houston,TX
    You could always try the bandroom website, also wwbw.com has felts for all bach horns, I bought some and used them on my TR300 and they worked. Another solution that works is to go buy some felt from a cloth or hobby store, match them up to the old felts and cut your own. Its tricky and time consuming, but I've done it to great success, and I also make my own spit-valve cork from wine bottle corks. Just make sure that if you make your own, cut them a little thicker because the old ones deteriorate. Hope this helps.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I just made a set of felts for a Conn 17B trumpet... bought a sheet of red felt from JoAnns Fabrics... It costs 34 cents! I can probably make a hundred sets!

These were the inside felts. The valve cap felt is thicker, and I am looking for a thicker felt sheet.

Then I measured the old ones with some calipers, drew the new ones in Corel Draw and cut them out with my laser engraver. Turned out great.
    [​IMG]

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
  5. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to try and cut some myself to start and see how things progress. My wife has plenty of felt from past craft projects. So far they're working pretty well. They're not pretty but they are functional. We'll se how long they last.

Keith

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
  7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Just remember to check to see if they affect the alignment of your pistons. A simple check is to pull your second slide and push the piston down. If the holes align, then no problem, if they don't, you might have a problem. Remember, felts, like cork, come in different thicknesses for a reason.

8. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello,Here is a great music supply site. Has a lot of the vintage springs also. You will have to register and then you can order what you need etc.

The site info. is Flutes, Wind Instruments, Repairs, Supplies by J.L. Smith . I would like to add again,those looking for those bottom action springs for the older vintage King Liberty trumpets. This Company has them. Good luck on your parts search.

9. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    I forgot to add,that this Company offers Music Tech repair Schools. Would have to contact the Company to get more info. A class was offered a short while back on Flute repair. Would be a nice part time job or full time.

Well trained Music Techs are getting to be a rare commodity. There is only one in my area,for a good many miles to drive in any direction,to access another. Be nice to your Music Techs. Good luck all.

10. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    You can often find these, and other replacement items, on Amazon.com. I just did a quick search for "trumpet felt" and you can get a dozen for about $5. I recenlty picked up some replacement mute corks through Amazon.

These types of items are often sold from regular stores, like WWBW, who also have an Amazon "storefront". If you look at the different sellers for a particular item there, you can often find someone offering free shipping.