Felts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Aug 7, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Well this weekend I am going to the music store to get some materials for the upcoming marching season, ie valve oil, grease, etc. Then I remembered my aristocrat is in dire need of felts. During marching season we had a couple of practices out in the pouring rain, and one of our shows, it was a DOWNPOUR. As expected the felts are rock hard now. My strad's outside felts are synthetic, and I was wondering if this would be a good choice of felts to get for my aristocrat which is out in the rain a lot. Would they stand a better chance? Or should I stick with classic felts?

Also, how do I replace the felts? Do the outer ones come out? Or do they not need replacing?

Thanks in advance for the help
    -Kristina

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The valve cap and valve stem felts align the ports in the pistons with the ports in the casings. You should check with a repair tech to be sure you get the right thickness. Misaligned valves can cause a horn to play out of tune and stuffy.