Female trumpet players

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim miller, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Carol Dawn Reinhart was one of my early heroines!

I think there are more fine women players now because mouthpiece design has gotten much better.................... ;-)

2. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'd like to think we are simply trumpet players/musicians. In today's age sex/color should have no bearing on whether or not one can play this wonderful instrument. As people's attitudes change more and more females have joined the club.Manon Lafrance who already has enjoyed a wonderful career is the latest addition to the Canadian Brass.Some other instruments have the same gender bias also. Drummers, jazz saxophonists come to mind! I hope in the future we won't be asking these gender based questions but thankfully the world seems to be moving ahead.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Check out the book "the Night the Camel Sang". It's about one of the first women professional trumpet players starting in the 1910s.

Bob G

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Women have always been there on brass instruments. Back in the day, Ruth Still was bad. Susan Slaughter has been the principal trumpet player with the Saint Louis Symphony for many years.
    Jim, you must have been blind not to seen all these great ladies.
    International Women's Brass Conference
    Wilmer

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Wilmer,
    Thanks for the link - this is an organization I had not heard of! I may even try to get to the next conference.....

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my wife is a very good player, was playing Napoli in the 8th grade. Her high school band director didn't like girls on the trumpet so she lost every challenge she tried. she had to work with the section leader and teach him the solos but didn't become section leader until her senior year. even her private teacher [a local symphony player] asked her not to challenge the section leader [another one of his students] because he had been working hard and she still had time after he graduated to be section leader. She is burnt out now and only plays in church or in a little pick up band once a month. I do know that when she was still playing she practiced technical passages very hard and she waorked hard at getting where she was. I just wish some of her talent would rub off on me.

7. coolieo505

coolieo505 New Friend

Nov 6, 2008
    Texas
    I don't think has to with size or sex. We have this one guy in our band and he is like 4 foot. He's first chair and made first chair in state.

8. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    I dont think it does either. when I made this post I was only commenting on what I observed after laying out for many years. Everything is better, equipment, players ,instruction. it is exciting for me to again be part of it. jim miller

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I feel bad for your wife, Dave, and for our loss of what she could have been. I'm glad she still plays and has your support. With love and music we can be whole, despite the sadness and disappointment of the past.

It's a truly sad commentary on our mid-century society that so many young women were coerced, persuaded, and pummeled into accepting a secondary role in whatever endeavor they chose to persue because of the built-in sexist nature of that society. Their potential for making a meaningful contribution to that society was usurped along with their God-given right to fullfil their artisitic (and scientific) dreams. And because they were females, for some reason they coped with that treatment and managed to find success and satisfaction anyway.

I have an enormous respect for women. It seems they are able to persist in situations which would faze most men. Is it biological, or evolutionary, or genetic? Whatever, I am encouraged by the direction our culture and many others are taking toward recognition of a woman's right to live the promises of her dreams.

10. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX

Sorry to hear your wife had to put up with that nonsense. My senior year in high school (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth....) - we all had to try out - and I got first chair - just barely - but the 4 of us (yours truly and 3 females) that were playing 1st trumpet section had all grown up together elementary through high school - and we shared solos so everybody got one - kinda of a group choice - drove the band director crazy - he didn't quite understand - but it worked for us. And we didn't slack off on practicing and playing our best.