FFFF Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Or "giving 110%"

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    No kidding. That is just as :duh:

pianissimo I was always taught was as soft as you can play with a decent tone and fortissimo was a loud as you can play with a decent tone.

ffff must be play loud with an awful sound by the definitions I learned. Pleasant -- not. Even in drum corps where the brass players must produce a ton of sound the brass caption heads will go bananas if someone plays so loud the sound is nasty.

I don't get what pppp or ffff is trying to communicate :?:

Jim

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I know! I know!

ffff = PEP BAND!!!!!!!!!! :play: :stars: :woop:

Okay, sorry about that....

Lara

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    FFFF=Blasting in a controlled manner. Preferably over a long duration of time. Usually without monitors. Oh yes, the guy playing second doesn't get tired---only louder.

5. davtpt

davtpt New Friend

Jan 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Reply for talcito

Man you pegged it, you are so correct in your statement about Merengue players & their lack of musicianship, when I was out there these merengueros trumpet players had no ideal of what I was talking about when I used to say lets play a jazz duet or something, one guy even asked me, " What are those black things on the paper"? ( He meant the notes )!!!!!!
    Some of these guys played on 1C bachs, others played on cheating mouthpieces ( 17S Giardinelli's ) stuff like that..
    Most players out there "hit" double G's like we over hit high "C" now I really believe the reason they all can play all night up there effortless is because that's how they grew up with the trumpet, I was a "G" player but after playing 3 crappy gigs everyday I ended up barely hitting high "E", some players recommended I go up to a mountain & blast to get my range up, oh & they also said. "forget about that musical stuff & style you play"!!! Needless to say I ended up doing mostly 2nd ( High A's B's ) and once that band broke up I needed to come back to the states to play musically again.. ( sigh of relief ).
    Currently I'm the lead player for one of the National Guard Band & I'm so happy to be playing concert band, stage band, polka band again. ( Variety that's where it's at )...
    I'm thankful I didn't pop a blood vessle while playing with the big boys, I'm glad for the expeirience but I'm also glad I got out in time before the scene drags you in for good..
    Ironically this morning I was talking to a good friend of mine in P.R. who's still playing lead with Melina Leon, Manny Manuel, etc, doesn't he get tired of it ( you know the 2 chords )!!!!
    I hope I answered some things in here & anything else please don't hesitate to write me...
    Davy

6. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I had an initial theory as to why these guys that were poor trumpet players could play loud, high and strong with incredible stamina:

I felt that these guys grew up listening to this music. When they were playing they were not playing notes, rather they were just playing the music in their head.

Well, this theory is not correct either!

As a sub I called in one of the greatest all-time trumpet players in NYC. This guy has played and recorded with everyone since the 1960's and he is Dominican and grew up in Santo Domingo.

Well, this guy would also die on those gigs!

My new theory is the following:

Trumpet playing is simple , but not easy. Since these guys have never really gotten around to studying the horn therefore they have yet to learn that it is not easy. They are approaching the horn without any preconceived notion of difficulty. Perhaps, we could all learn something from these guys!!!

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Classic use of smilies.

:wave:

Back on topic ... often I've seen fff used by composers to indicate that he / she wants even *more* than the ff before. It's all about context, obviously.

8. davtpt

davtpt New Friend

Jan 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    How true

Wow I understand what you're saying, I play on a 1 Bach mpc & a guy over there wanted to see how it plays, he picked it up, hit a double "C" & I said how did you do that, he said I don't know ( he can't read nor anything like that!!!!

9. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    FFFF

I used to play in a clown band (12 members that did a 15 min. choreographed show outside),everybody had to blow their brains out to be heard. The other 2 trumpets developed iron chops and it absolutely tore mine up. I played in that band for 11 yr. and have been out of it for 6 yr. Sometimes when asked to play FF in the bands I play in now I can over blow the whole section. My endurance and tone has improved greatly since leaving that band,but when I talked to the other trumpet player who quit a year before I did he said he does not have near the lip he used to have. I guess there is no hard and fast rule for anything dealing with the trumpet. old geezer Dave :cool:

10. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hello Old Geezer:

Yea, you are right, the trumpet is not very predictable. Sometimes , after playing these torture type gigs I will notice that the next day I will sound great. While on the days that I practise perfectly, warm up, warm down and apply lotion to my tender lips----well the day after that I will often play terribly. Hey, is the clown band hiring?