Fiddler On The Roof

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-MAN, Nov 19, 2005.

1. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    There is a strong possibility I will be doing this musical in the New Year. Any insight on the 1st trumpet Book would be helpful.

Thanks,

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I performed this for an entire summer a few years ago. There are no surprises. It is pretty straight forward. "To Life" is one of the highlights. It is a lot of fun to play. I think you only need a straight mute. Enjoy!

3. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    I can only mirror Alex's comments. I played the 1st trumpet book for that when I was in high school, and it is pretty straight-forward. There are some weird things as I recall during the dream sequence.... I don't remember exactly what it was... it has been a while, but other than that I remember it reading down fairly easily, even when I was in high school.

V/R
    Joshua

4. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    The fist trumept book has some nice stuff, a few short yet exposed solos. I think it goes up to a high E, but it's not a "lead" style book. You'll enjoy it! (Find a good book to read)

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Don't expect to get home early.

The show is not one of my favourites to play for a couple of reasons - I am not a great fan of the music (which doesn't help) and it lasts for hours. The last time I played in a production of it we only just managed to get a drink afterwards (pubs shut at 11pm).

Nothing in the music brings back any nasty memories

6. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    "find a good book to read"

Nice. Agreed. There is a lot of down time.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I second, third, and fourth the sentiment about there being some down time. What actually happens is the music peaks in the first half and the second half deals with more solemn subject matter ...... and does seem to drag on for days. I do ask, just as a fellow musician, please make your act of reading "subtle" so that the audience doesn't see you. I went to see Madame Butterfly at the NY Met back in 2001 and I cannot tell you how outraged I was to see one of the trumpet players balancing a checkbook in the pit, very out in the open. Being in the pit, it is easy to forget that the audience can see you....but they can. ;-)

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    And then there was a certain trombone player years ago who was "reading" behind his music stand, in view of some audience members.......He was ok until the centerfold flopped open........

:oops:

(And no; it was not me. I play trumpet).

:cool:

9. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Gary....having done this show many times, I would reiterate taking a look at "To Life" as well as the dream sequence. Get your hands on a cd copy of the sound track so you get an idea of how this stuff flows.

Definately not a "lead/Broadway" romp...but still poses some challenges in the bigger numbers. Some funny lines throughout... hope you enjoy.

10. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Thanks for all the replies. I may not know until January wether I will be doing this or not. The high school my daughter graduated from is putting on the production and I know that currently they are weak on trumpet players. Since I have helped them out in the past I offered to do it again for them. The music teacher putting on the musical is a friend and although it is a non paying gig I still enjoy the chance to play and add to the musicals I have done in the past.