Figuring out music by ear

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 21, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Panic at the Disco, a teenage pop band, incorporates some of the best trumpet music into their songs. I dont know if any of you have heard there songs but they are worth the listen just for some of the trumpet snipits and even sometimes entire jazz sections in their song. One song called Nine in the Afternoon is pretty much not itself without the trumpet in the background. The song itself has sheet music written up, which has actually improved my playing with incredible results.
    Anyway back to my main topic. One of their songs is called When the Day Met the Night. It has some of the nicest trumpet music incorporated into the song. I have looked everywhere, but no one seems to have the music. I decided that i would have to figure out the music on my own. My question is what is the best way to figure out the notes?
    Even better could someone possibly help me out by figuring out what the first note is because that normally helps me when playing by ear

here is the song...i suggest skipping to the forty five second mark to hear the trumpet music...
    YouTube - When The Day Met The Night - Panic At The Disco

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I'm going to guess and say the first four notes are: d, e, f, e, G..........

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i just played those on my horn with a better quality version of the song and it matched perfectly..how did u do that?

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    ^ Learn your intervals and practice singing them.

5. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    The B-flat trumpet is B-flat, so on a piano, you have to play half a step down? I usually play the stuff I hear on my piano, so I don't tire myself out on the trumpet before I figure out the notes.

6. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Almost Right.
    It's a whole step. If it's an E on Piano, it'll be an F# on trumpet.

7. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    The trumpet lick starts with the concert notes C (eighth) D (quarter) E (eighth) D (eighth). So, on the trumpet they are D, E, F#, then back to E.

8. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    E to F# is one and a half step, if it was a whole step, E would go to F, but I'm pretty sure It's a half step, because third space C on the trumpet is B-Flat on the piano.

9. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    Bb to C is a whole step.

10. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    If B-Flat to C is a whole step, then what is a half step?