Fill us in about Mahler 3!!

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tarter_trpt8, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny!

To much frustration I can't make it to the concert this weekend because of our school's musical that I'm playing in, but I'd love to hear any good things/bad things about the concert and I'm sure many more would love to hear your side of it as well!!

Jeremy

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i will be listening tonight and going tommorow night. My wife is in the MN Chorale, and really enjoys doing the piece. All the vocalists got a very positive review in the Minneapolis paper. Also a chance to hear a supurb trombonist and our beloved moderator in Big solos for their instruments. encourage all to listen if you can

So Manny, what are you playing the posthorn solo on? The rotary D or something else.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Last night was one of the most beautiful concerts I've ever been part of... truly a testament to the enduring qualities of that piece. I'll give you a full report when it's all done.

ML

4. iguananaught

iguananaught Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2005
    I can say that tonight's performance was spectacular. I don't know this work as well as Mahler's 5th or 7th, but I am going to do some serious listening of it in the coming weeks (with my first trumpet part, of course)!

I think my favorite part was the start of the last movement, the Langsam. I love it when I get caught up in the parts of pieces that don't involve trumpets! It makes me remember why I love music so much, and why I still love to play.

Manny, as always, you sounded fantastic. The whole section was wonderful. I honestly believe that this orchestra is one of the top groups in the country. The lower strings are especially nice to listen to.

I still can't believe that wasn't a cornet. Where exactly were you standing, by the way?

Patricio

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Bravo! A magnificent performance last night. I was able to hear things (again!) I've never heard before. Congratulations to the lower strings on an absolutely spellbinding opening to the last movement (I was captivated, too, iguana!) and the mezzo soprano soloist...melted chocolate! The opening of that movement where the mezzo comes in creates this image of searching; lost, mournful searching for something that will never be found.

I thought before the posthorn solo about your reaction to the poem someone shared (you said, "So, it's Taps"), and the playing of Taps this 9/11, and the refelctive calm nature you played with on the solo. Beautiful.

There were so many beautiful and moving and thought provoking moments it would be impossible to for me list them right now. Thank you. It was absolutely glorious, stunning and captivating.

Wish I could get to hear you guys in person!

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I echo what Glen said.
    It was the first time I've heard the MO on the internet feed.
    BEAUTIFUL!!

-cw-

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Likewise Manny,

Bravo I echo the last two posts for sure. I only wish I could see you live as well. I'm planning to attend the Columbus Symphony Orchestra's performance next month, Columbus, GA that is and hopefully they will live up to this high standard you have placed in my beedy little head.

8. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Wonderful

I loved the perfect transition from trumpet to posthorn. It felt like you weren't reading music, but playing because you felt inspired to do so, like you wanted to tell this story to the audience. The first movement was a beautiful piece on it's own. Just spectacular performance, you inspire me every time I hear you, Mr. Laureano (and of course the rest of the MO.)

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
    Was that a live internet feed or can we listen to it again?

I'd love to check it out!

Best,

Trent

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I heard the broadcast Friday and live Saturday. Saturday was better then the broadcast. I think this may have been the best I have heard the orchestra perform Mahler. (heard 1, 2, 3. 5. 7. 8 with them). For the Posthorn solo, Manny was in the third tier ring corridor.