Fill your Trumpet with milk!? true or false?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yodnnee, Apr 19, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well, sounds a bit strange but milk products, yoghurt for example are used to age bronzes and some stonework in gardens. There may be something in it after all. Certainly the sound could change to a long Mooooooooo. ;-)

2. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    What? Would you use chocolate milk for a darker sound? Low fat milk for a thin sound and perhaps whole milk for a big, fat sound?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This isn't much different from the drummers' practice of burying cymbals with the idea that spending a week or two underground will somehow make the sound different. With cymbals, there is actually a fair amount of change that takes place when patina builds up on them - they smooth out and the sound warms up. I wouldn't have believed it but I once cleaned my brilliant finish cymbals prior to a show because they hadn't been cleaned in some time, and it drastically alterred their sound.

It could be that the milk and lactic acid burns a number of irregularities into the inside of the tubing (pitting and etching and that kind of thing) that would otherwise take years to develop, but it's not something I would do.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    It would take more that a softener sheet to take that smell out of the vintage horn.

I'll pass!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I want a buttery-smooth sound. Should I use buttermilk? If I want a dark sound, should I use...go ahead, say it...

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Just melt some butter an pour it in....I will pass just as lmf. Practice and V cups do that for me.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I haven't heard the part about vintage, but I have brought some instruments that had been in the case for many years back to life this way. Milk overnight in the horn does seem to restore whatever makes a continually played horn different from a dry one. It never stank or got gross. It did play much more freely afterwards!

No joke.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have always had the suspicion that it was the old members of the band having some amusement at the expense of a youngster, however I bow to Rowuk's experience. Filling a horn with milk and then draining would leave a coating of fats and solids that would have some effect on the sound. I would NEVER do it to any of my horns.

Regards, Stuart.

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm just waaayyy too much of a germiphobe for this experiment - makes me want to throw up just thinking about it! YUCK!!!

10. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    At last the secret is out. This is so disappointing, I thought I was going to go to the grave being the only person left that knew that the Olds factory back in the 40s and 50s was located directly adjacent to a dairy bottling plant.