Fill your Trumpet with milk!? true or false?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yodnnee, Apr 19, 2010.

1. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Milk in the horn, heavy valve caps, tone boosters etc.etc,etc. The trumpet world is full of voodoo and trickery.
    What ever happened to the idea of buying a good quality horn,(any brand,old or new, so long as its good quality) a well matched mouthpiece, and practicing your arse off?.
    I must be a bit old fashioned I guess.
    Cheers
    Laurie

2. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    MMMMMMM.....flavoured milk

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Hi Laurie,

I believe what you have said is very true.

I'm sure if some famous trumpeter came along and said that filling a trumpet with cow or horse manure would make the horn sound sweeter, some would have to try it as they would think it to be true.

Again, I will pass (no pun intended). ;-)

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't think for a moment that heavy valve caps or tone boosters can be considered voodoo or trickery because they do in fact change the character of the horn. I have had a couple of church brass quartet gigs recently and I employed a set of Curry heavy hex caps on my Schilke B6 to alter the sound and feel of the horn so that it blended better with the ensemble.

As for the milk thing...yeah, I think you have a point, but even small changes can make a difference in sound, so who knows - maybe there is something to it. I know that my horn plays and responds a bit differently when the bell is clean than when it's dirty. Some people say that just can't be true, but the same thing happens when I clean my cymbals on my drums - as soon as I take away the grime and stick marks that have built up, they brighten up and respond faster.

So, voodoo and trickery? Possibly - I've never been one to believe that a horn is going to play itself though and no matter what you have, the end result is always more about the player and the time they put in than it is the equipment itself.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    No one has mention pouring beer down the horn. I've heard it takes all the bad notes out.

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I was being sarcastic, WE Bach lovers get that crap from the schilke, Getzen, and B&S owners at my school. My main horn is a bach and I would never trade it. She leaks everything except air.

7. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I find that eating the maximum amount of cheese possible before a gig helps me get that "Vintage" sound. It also increases my range to quint C.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No - that would be alcohol abuse. The actual method is that you are supposed to pour beer down the throat of the player so they THINK it has taken all of the bad notes out! ROFL

9. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston

I think your both right! :shock:

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Try pouring champagne and you'll play like Dizzy !