Fill your Trumpet with milk!? true or false?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yodnnee, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Jay-Eye

Jay-Eye New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Sunny Birmingham, UK
    I played the Great Highland bagpipe and Uilleann pipes, never put any whiskey or whisky in my bags. Another myth methinks. :lol:

I'm working on the principle of spitting lots of espresso coffee, Morgan's Spiced Rum and real ale down my horn. Anyone care to guess what the optimum mix is for a real vintage sound?

2. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Right ok then guys - who's got an old horn that they're man enough to do this with to try it?

:thumbsup:

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the caldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
    Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
    In the cauldron, in foul milk sunk,
    A sad brass trumpet, who'd a thunk?

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Good one Hup!!!

Very Lit'rary!!!

Guy

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I posted on the first page that I did, and that it worked. Milk overnight, then rinse out. Only on horns that sit unplayed for months and completely dry out.

1st hand experience.

6. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Where's the smiley for head-slapping? :oops:

7. Jay-Eye

Jay-Eye New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Sunny Birmingham, UK
    I need a volunteer to fill their horn with premium grade extra- extra-virgin olive oil! I haven't heard any rumours about what the effect on the tone might be, this is idle curiosity. I do wonder if it might mean oiling valves would become a thing of the past and your mutes might keep falling out! It'd certainly smell a lot better than sour milk though. C'mon guys, in the interests of science?

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

My younger brother plays for the NSW Police Pipe Band and in discussions with his "Gaelic" friends, they talk of honey in the bag to preserve it - of course many modern pipes had synthetic (neoprene I think) bags so honey would not be necessary except for those Oddies who wish to spoil their whiskey. :oops: Anybody got any ivory to repair one of the ring thingies (sorry Ewan -the proper name escapes me) on the drones on his vintage pipes? An ivory billiard ball would do the trick, and I could turn it down to size. Please.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  9. Jay-Eye

Jay-Eye New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Sunny Birmingham, UK
    Nah! Conditioner/sealer/dressing/seasoning - whatever you want to call it. It comes in a bottle now. Messy, fiddly, time consuming job. Nearly as bad as getting the milk stains out of your trumpet!

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    My late grandmother used to talk about some of the culinary practices of the German families in her area (back off, PC Police, my grandfather was part of one of them). The ladies would sit around and shred the cabbage to make sauerkraut - with their fingernails. She also told of how they aged certain cheeses by burying them underground - in manure. I've run across a few horns which might benefit from such treatment.