Final Countdown - Trumpet Multitrack

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Nov 30, 2010.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    I was bored staying home sick from school today. This was the result.

YouTube - Final Countdown

Yes there are a few errors here and there, but not bad enough to redo it :-?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Pretty cool! Questions:

1.) What software did you use?
    2.) What microphone did you use?
    3.) What effects did you use?
    4.) did you find recording multi-horn stuff more difficult than you thought? That's what usually happens to me when I do that kind of thing - it winds up being much more difficult to get it to sound right than I initially thought, which is usually due to my own inconsistencies as a player.

Do you have a MIDI controller? You could really go nuts with that if you had MIDI keyboard - you could pad it with some synth keys and add drums...pretty much anything you wanted to.

Good stuff!

3. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    1) GarageBand
    2) Shure SM57
    3) Only effect is on the melody part where I added a little reverb
    4) The software I use has a metronome option. I wear headphones while I'm recording and it keeps me in time. I think that's probably what your problem is.
    5) No, but I could add that stuff if I want , Garageband is really cool software!

Thanks for watching :)

4. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    That's pretty cool:thumbsup:

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Heheh - for starters, I never said that I hadn't done it successfully. :-) I did a two flugelhorn version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (I've posted the YouTube of it before and since this is your thread, I'll refrain from posting it here) that I also recorded with an SM57 using GarageBand. I've also used my MIDI controller to add some other stuff on some other projects that I've done.

I recorded an echo Taps that was a bit of a challenge due to maintaining intonation througout. I "fixed" that problem by playing along to a MIDI track of a strings Bb chord I held out throughout the cut.

I also recorded a Teleman Canonic Sonata with GarageBand but the mic I used on that ditty was the Rock Band: World Tour USB mic. (I also used headphones and used the metronome click on that one) My current interface is a Focusrite, Saffire Pro 40.

I'm not a pro by any means, but I've been doing it for a couple of years and learning more all the time.

Again, good stuff! What interface are you using to get the signal into the Mac?

6. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    That's a really nice recording, I like your tone!

Hmm, I don't think I had any significant problems. I just changed the instrument to Trumpet Solo and it added the reverb. The other parts are just Trumpet Section.

Before I got my SM57 I used my Rockband mic! It's not that bad quality for something like this to be completely honest (as long as it's working right).

Cool, this is my second one (You can go to my channel to see the other). You mean pre-amp? Same as you, Blue Icicle.

I'm currently trying to arrange Vehicle for me and my friend (who will be playing everything an octave up) :D

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Haha! I like the "Trumpet Solo" preset as well. :-) It's a really nice setting for stuff like this, although I think I might EQ it just a touch.

I've got Logic Studio, but I haven't really had the time to really sit down and learn how it works.

How do you like the Icicle? (That's what I meant by "interface" - preamp/interface) It definitely gets the job done for a single track, but with the ultimate goal of recording a drum kit, I needed more than one input, which is why I got the Focusrite Saffire preamp interface. I like it because it has a lot more headroom for your mic signal. It always seemed to me that I was trying to find a balance with the Icicle between not having enough gain, and having just a bit too much gain, and I never seem to have that issue anymore.

It seems that you and I have similar backgrounds with recording using GarageBand - the RockBand mic wasn't terrible, but doesn't sound as good as the SM57.

Keep on rocking those recordings! For me, I find that it really helps me dial in on exactly what I'm doing with the horn and I'll hear things in my playing that I didn't even realize were there - the recording doesn't lie! LOL! That, and it helps me to get focused on what I'm doing because I don't want to have to do take after take to fix problems that occurred because of poor execution of the music.

Oh yeah - what did you use to put together the video? I'm missing something because I have always figured I had to do something with iVideo before I could post it to youtube.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  8. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    I've never felt I needed anything more than GarageBand. Logic looks cool, but GB is so simple to use and and has tons of great features.

Yes, same microphone & pre-amp as well, lol.

Yep, I plan to. I just wish I had more stuff to play. I'm not great at arranging things :shhh:

I just saved it as .mp3 from garageband, imported that into iMovie and added that title bit. Uploaded straight to youtube from iMovie. I can go more into detail if you need it :thumbsup:

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here you go - just finished this a bit ago. A bit rough at around the 26 second mark - I suppose I could go back and fix it if it was really important.

This is the bugle feature (or at least the bugle feature to the best of my memory) called "Where's Kirk," written by Kirk Wilke, that I played for much of my time at the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and I played all 3 parts at different times. It's been 11 years since I left, and I no longer have the printed music for it, so it may not be exactly right.

YouTube - Where's Kirk

That's me crouched down in this picture with Tom Selleck and some of my other cohorts in crime -

From Left to Right - Rick Ruddle, David Noell, Robert McCallister, Tom Selleck, Patrick Gleason, (me, kneeling) Steve "Phipper" Phipps, Keith Edwards, Billy White.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Nice work, guys. :thumbsup: