Final Countdown - Trumpet Multitrack

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Nov 30, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Tight!! :thumbsup:

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's one I threw together this morning from memory of one of the bugle tunes we did - it's basically 2 parts, but I recorded four and a half tracks, to give it a little more body and weight. (The half track was to boost the lead line right there toward the end) It was called Froglegs - the original version was written for open bugle, but Kirk Wilke arranged it for the single valved bugle and that's the way I always played it. (Side note - it's not "exactly" like the original - I have a couple of small embellishments toward the end.)

There's no real mixing other than to pan the tracks a bit and to add a canned preset called "Trumpet Solo" to the track. Otherwise, there's no pitch correction or anything else.

YouTube - Froglegs

(Video might still be processing)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009

Really good, man!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I decided to add drums to the one I did earlier today. Everything was recorded with an SM57 - not exactly ideal for a bass drum (this is the 18x22 dia bass drum from my kit, played with a set of cotton mallets that I use for cymbal swells) but it got the job done with some EQ. Everything I do right now with recording is mostly guesswork with a touch of "knowledge" from some things I have read, or whatever is available as a preset in GarageBand.

YouTube - Froglegs With Drums

5. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Nice, the drums recorded pretty well. For some reason my microphone isn't working... I think it's the icicle that's going. The SM57 is known to be pretty tough, and I've not ill-treated it in anyway. I've contacted Blue about it, hopefully it's fixed soon.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bummer about the mic/preamp - I agree, the 57 should be able to survive all kinds of abuse - have you seen the Shure mic drop test? They drop that thing from something silly like 7 floors, it bangs into the plywood on the floor so hard it knocks the grill off, but they plug it in and it still works.

Now the Icicle...I was never impressed with the build quality on that thing. I ended up giving mine away to a friend of mine who was looking for a way to get better quality sound into their Mac than the on-board mic when doing recordings of their Sunday worship band sets. They had mics, just not a preamp/interface.

If you have the cash, another way to go might be this:

Amazon.com: ART USB Dual Pre Two-Channel Preamplifier/Computer Interface: Electronics

For $50, it's roughly the same cost as the Icicle, but has a lot more capability and it reviews pretty well. (Musicians Friend is running that for $99 at the moment)

7. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Hmm... I'll see what's up with my icicle, or figure out what else is wrong. Then I'll see about that. It's tempting, though!