Final Thoughts

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rdt1959, Jun 28, 2004.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    The Wild Thing is on it's way to Florida, and I want to take a few minutes to write down my over-all feelings about the Wild Thing.

<background - I am a comebacker and have been playing for about 18 months. I am still on the learning curve regarding the technical aspects of the trumpet (i.e. bore sizes, differences in lead pipes, etc.). I am, however, very serious about my trumpet endeavors. And note that I was using my regular mouthpiece the whole time I played the Wild Thing, a Bach 5C>

If you are in the market for a new horn, you really do owe it to yourself to check out the Wild Thing. I am no expert on professional line trumpets (yet!), but I think the Wild Thing would probably compete with just about any other make of horn in workmanship and playing characteristics.

Even after playing the Wild Thing all this time, I can't find anything negative to say about this horn. The more I played it, the more I liked it (I think I had it a little too long...it is going to be VERY hard to go back to my "regular" horn!).

I can not say that I can do anything on the Wild Thing that I can not do on my Benge, but I do many things BETTER on the Wild Thing. My practicle range on the Wild Thing is a note or two higher, and I attribute that to the free blowing characteristics of the horn in the upper register. My tone quality up there does not suffer like it does on the Benge.

For some reason, my articulation is cleaner on the Wild Thing. And that may (or may not) be due to the extremely good slotting of the trumpet.

Finally, when I start shopping around for a new horn, all others are going to have to compete with the Wild Thing!

Thanks to Tom and Flip for giving us this chance to try out this fantastic horn!