"Finale" HELP!!!!!!!!!!! (Please!?!) (I'm desperat

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by TangneyK, Mar 2, 2004.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok all you Finale software wizards out there, this is for you. (I'm using Finale 2002.)

Let me start by letting you know I am relatively new to Finale, have had no formal training on it, and have been learning by a long and sometimes frustrating "trial and error" process. So...

I've just finished transposing Sonny Rollins' solo on "Tenor Madness" from a transcription I found on the web. It's a concert Bb Blues, and was transcribed in concert pitch. I used the "Setup Wizard" to create a single trumpet part. I selected the "jazz" font. Then to input the music in, I chose to "View in Concert Pitch."

After a little while I was done. I turned off the "View in Concert Pitch," and behold, I had a beautiful, Bb version of Sonny Rollins' solo on "Tenor Madness." I saved it, printed a copy, and....

GIBBERISH.

My glorious Bb version of Sonny Rollins' solo on "Tenor Madness" looked like a John Cage piece for "Broken Transmission Played by a Stoned, 78 1/2 Year-Old Aborigini Male Covered in Strawberry Jam and Pencil Shavings." But it still looks fine on the computer. Now all my other Finale "works" are printing like that.

I can email anyone of you the file to see if I did something funky. But please, I want Finale "back to normal"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Kevin

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Do you have MAC or PC?

3. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    PC.

4. Big Phat Jan

Big Phat Jan New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    London (South Ken.)
    I'm by no means a Finale expect (I prefer Sibelius) but...

Perhaps your printer doesn't support the "jazz" font? Changing font for this piece could possibly have changed the font for every piece which would explain their sudden decline into gobbledegook... Try changing font back to whatever it was before and see whether that fixes it.

Apart from this you could have a bad connection between your computer and PC, a corrupted printer driver, or some nasty little virus :shock: , but I suspect you'd see prolems with all your printing, not just Finale if that were the case.

Let's hope it's just the font!

Jan.

5. jazz_trpt

jazz_trpt New Friend

Jan 28, 2004
    Champaign, Illinois, USA
    Yeah, that smells like a font download issue. I'm assuming you're using the jazz font.

One way to test this is to go to WordPad, select the various "Jazz" fonts, and type out the alphabet in each one, then try to print it. If you get garbage, it's a font issue.

You might reinstall the jazzfont from your Finale disk and try again; if that doesn't work, make sure you're using the most current version of the printer driver for your device.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I didn't but one of my friends was using an older version of Finale PrintMusic by MakeMusic and his newer Windows 7 would not support it. Could this also be your problem? Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP and earlier Windows versions. I've long abandoned PrintMusic myself and now use Finale 2012 that still had some glitches that a phone call to MakeMusic resolved.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Try saving it as a PDF and printing that.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Technology moves a lot in a decade. iTunes was launched in 2003-04....umm maybe a redundant thread. Or a techos fun park.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    AWESOME! a 10yr old Zombie thread! Back.from the dead!

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]

Zombie Alert!