Finale measure numbers.........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Oct 11, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Some of you are much better at Finale than I am so here's a question.

I'm doing some arrangements of some nice pieces for use in church. They are not for sale, just something I will use myself and give to my friends in the music community.

When you write on Finale with a solo part on one staff with the piano accompaniment below it, is it possible to have the measure numbers show only on the solo instrument line? When the measure numbers are shown on the piano line it tends to look very cluttered, and I like to put measure numbers on every measure, not just at the beginning of each staff.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

2. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    This isn't much help, but if you tell me what version of Finale you're using I'll try and remember the steps. I believe I've done this before (you're basically asking about assigning measure numbers by staff instead of for the entire score -- I'm quite positive you can do this).

I've used Finale 2000 and Finale 2004....lemme know.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Bandman, the way to do this is through the "staff" tool. Click that tool (the one that's a G clef), and then click on the staff menu. When the list comes up, click on "Edit staff attributes". At the top of the dialogue box is the name of the staff. On the right side at the bottom of that dialogue box is a list of the items that can be shown on the staff.

Since you want to show measure numbers on the solo line only, click the staff name popup menu, and select staff 2 (the top staff of your piano/organ part). Then, go to the list of items to be shown on the staff, and deseselect (uncheck) "measure numbers". Do the same for the next staff, and then save. Then, go back to the solo line and be sure measure numbers are checked for that line.

I'l try numbering every measure in a bit...time to get ready to go!

Let us know how it goes!

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    It worked!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You didn't say if you want the measure numbers on the solo line only within the context of the entire score, or on the solo extract only. You could always "extract" the parts then modify the solo line to include the staff numbers before printing.

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Tootsall, I knew how to do that when extracting the parts, but I couldn't get the score to read solo on one staff only. I'm pretty good at Finale, but some of you guys here are experts. tpter1 was able to give me what I needed and it worked, so today I'm a happy guy!!!

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hey, Band man: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Glad I could help!

Did you get measure numbers in every bar?