Finale!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Jan 27, 2008.

1. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey all,

not necessarily a trumpet related post but.....

does anyone know how to put Jazz chords into the chord suffix selection and have them save for future use? for example, i want to put in C7(b913) instead of C13(b9). i just want to know how to put my own chords in so every time i write a chart the chords i put in the previouos time are still there.

thanks

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    If you try to enter a chord suffix that isn't in the library, it'll ask you if you would like to add it. Just click OK a couple of times and it will add it to the library. I've created templates for most of the ensembles I write for and I have loaded all the chord stuff I prefer so every time I create a new document everything's already there.

Michael McLaughlin

"The covers of this book are too far apart."
    Ambrose Bierce

3. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks Mike. I realized that what I needed to do was create a template to go to every time I start a new chart. Do you kno wif there is a way to make my chords the default, so that everytime the wizard comes up to start a new tune, my chords will be there?

4. jazzsolotrumpet

jazzsolotrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Thanks Mike,

I was having a similar problem as well.

-Matthew Gill

5. trpt2345

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Add your chords to the library of the template, and then do a "save as" for each new chart: whatever is in the template will be in each new chart.

Michael McLaughlin

6. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, I'm having that problem too, but am looking for something different out of it. Maybe I'm trying to do the wrong notation, but I don't believe so. I want to show Cmaj with the triangle, and then for half diminished I want the circle with the slash through it. Can you do that in Finale?

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Can't help you, never used it. You can, however, in Sibelius. Check it out if you can.

8. trpt2345

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Not as far as I know. The triangle thing has fallen out of favor as less accurate than MA or min7b5 instead of the circle with the line.

Michael McLaughlin

9. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    When you go into the chord making tool and click on a note to add a chord, there is an option to "create" chords. Click that and change the jazz font to "jazz font chord". That will give you what you're looking for.

I agree with Mike, those are less used nomenclature. Maj7 or min7(b5) are more to write, but more acurate discription. It's a pain I know, b/c sometimes you can't fit all that in over a note or slash.... arrrghhh....

10. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    yeah, I knew about that, but was wondering if I could use the symbols. I guess I'll have to use maj7 and min7(b5). Thanks for the help!