finally, a bugle that PLAYS!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Castle Bravo, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    I have the honor of playing taps in Normandy France on 6jun, the 60th anniversary of d-day. I was pulled from Iraq to play taps as a representative of the 1st Infantry Division, who stormed the beaches of France 60 years ago.

Last summer I was lamenting to Leigh how taps is always played on a trumpet, not a bugle, and how all bugles pretty much suck and none of them are real instruments. (Not talking about DCI bugles, I'm referring to single-loop Bb bugles). So, Leigh built one to my specs, and I went over to England and had it tweaked until it played the way I wanted it to play. It took a lot of work, but it looks, plays and sounds like a world class trumpet with no valves!!
    I'm breakin' out the prototype on sunday in Normandy. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post from the ceremony when I return..... 8)

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Congratulations on getting the gig, Gary!

I hope it all goes well, and I look forward to seeing the pictures of the eclipse bugle.[/i]

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I've played that bugle and it is a real mother of a bugle. Huge sound and easy to control. Thanks for letting me try it out Gary.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Wow, what an honor!! Thanks for sharing.

It's good to see a great instrument be put to good use.

Dave

5. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    What key is the bugle in? If it's in Bb, maybe we can get someone to compare them to the new Getzen Bb bugles that are out now.

6. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Thanks for posting Gary,

I'll be watching (as I'm sure everyone else here will be). Sure hope that CNN shows some good footage of you. Congratulations on the honor!

7. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Gary, I watched the service from Omaha Beach, with President Bush in attendance. The bugler played a trumpet and wore glasses??!!

What happened?

8. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Yeah, as it turns out, I didnt have THE gig, the one with the president. I was in attendance for the speech, and spent the next two days playing multiple ceremonies with surviving veterans that stormed the beaches with the First Infantry Division on the beaches of normandy, as well as in several of the towns that were liberated by the 1ID (ten ceremonies total). I felt as if I were walking through history, those vets are our national treasure. I wish I could hug every one of them and thank them individually, but that just wasn't possible. Our generation will never know the horror of a war like WWII, and I can only imagine what they went through. After hearing their stories, Iraq didn't seem so bad...
    Anyway, the bugle was absolute money, I knew I played well and the feeback from the veterans was measured in tears.... mission was a complete success. I will take the bugle back with me to Iraq, where I will hopefully never have to use it... but something tells me I will. Thanx Leigh for making a superb horn, sorry I couldn't get it on CNN as I'd hoped, but I wish you could have been there to see it in action. The veterans were moved by it, and I have never been so proud to wear a 1ID combat patch!
    ( I'll get some pics from the 1ID PAO guy, but it may take a while as he has a lot of work to after the occasion)

9. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    To play for the Vets instead of the politicians is a much better opportunity!

I certainly watched the Canadian services, 1st was at the Military cemetary, the second on Juno Beach. Both very special services. The regiment I served in had landed at Dieppe and didn't have to make the D-Day landing, they landed in July to start the push.

Be safe when you return to Iraq, and I agree, hopefully you won't have to play but I expect you will.

Reminds me of a phrase from the movie Shenandoah:
    "The politicians say we have too, the old men say is is good, but the boys just want to go home"

10. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Thanks Gary!