Finally found the real reason for section uniformity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There have been numerous threads and posts here related to the move to require uniformity in certain sections of orchestras. I have personally railed against this movement (as have others) claiming it smacks of elitism or snobbishness and eliminates all of the wonderful-sounding vintage trumpets from inclusion in these orchestras and, of course, reduces the listening pleasure of the audience.

However, I think that I have found the real reason for it. This clip is the clue. In today's world of not just music AUDIO but, more importantly music VIDEO, the impact of section uniformity has finally become apparent. As you watch this video (the shot of the trumpets in the opening stanza are a big hint), you will see that not only does the section require uniformity among the instruments, but even such things as height (and gender?) of the players plus nose shape and hair cut (look at the flute players - even when only one is playing). Also, as much as there is uniformity among the trumpets, the horns are almost as impressive - along with the trombones, the basses, the clarinets (with the bassoons in the way), the oboes, etc. I guess we live in a world where the image is everything. (But, they do sound nice).
    YouTube - Dvorak: Symphony No. 8 in G Major (IV)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    If this is the case, then I think that these orchestras are misreading the market. I think that most people that listen to orchestras could care less about visual aspects outside of the basic sharp look (tux and pants). In fact, I'm sure many people still close their eyes when listening to orchestras.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I Love to listen to orchestaszzzz...zzzz..zz..

I Love unifor

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    mity...OOps, was that not uniforn..??

Nice clip.

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    NOT true at all!! You´re jumping to conclusions!!

I saw a great variety in forehead angles within the flute section!:noway:

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Karajan was probably the first conductor not willing to hire obese opera singers...I realized now that his orchestra looked a bit like an army :twisted: I guess that if you can choose among the best musicians in Europe, you can also allow yourself to look for good looks as well.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Let's face it, it has become a world dominated by images. Visual is where the bar sits. How often do folks here post .mp3 or .wma links as opposed to YouTubes? When the YouTube video is a still image (some Mendez and Nakariakov are that way - and of course they didn't make a vid of Raphael - but why not Sergei?), do you still listen as closely (or more so)?

When I was a little boy, concerts by the Cleveland w/Szell were a big deal here. I remember how thrilled I was, not only by the sound, but by the visual spectacle. But as we grow up it seems to me that what we hear in a concert like that is considerably more important than what we see. Yet, there is ongoing difficulty with filling seats in the concert hall, and the burden on the promoters is to provide a show - not just a concert. Chris Botti does this and fills huge venues. If you want crowds you give them music AND MORE.

This still does not explain the apparent desire on the part of some MDs, conductors, BODs, etc. for uniformity of appearance. If how you look, how tall or short or thin or thick you are, your gender, facial and noggin hair, skin color - the list goes on - matters as much or more than how well you can play your axe and fullfill the music, then we are moving backwards by leaps and bounds against a public demand (real or perceived) for diviersity in our society. IMO, our hippocracy is showing.

I remember a song, popular before my time, on 78s, that went, "I'm looking for a guy who plays alto and baritone, and doubles on the clarinet, and wears a size 37 suit." I used to think it meant there was an opening and they had that size outfit for the person who they hired, but maybe it was more prophetic. Maybe everyone had a size 37 suit.

v

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am not sure what the original point was, but my own was, that if you can choose among 20 amazing trumpeters for a section of 6, if their level of playing and artistry is close enough, you may decide to choose those that look better without sacrificing musical quality.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Opps - I forgot to add a ;-) to my post. Plus, my post really was meant to focus on the instruments more than the players.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Of course! We KNOW it is the instruments and not the players!:roll: