Finally found the real reason for section uniformity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Where's the uniformity in this clip other than the musicians all are wearing tails? If you look at the shot of the bass players, one has a beard, one has a furry lip and the others don't. Isn't this normal variation? Also, I question your motive for this thread. Are you gainfully employed?:thumbsup:

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As a senior citizen I was MUCH impressed by the uniformity of movement and stature. I envy the musician who gets the oportunity to perform with a band or orchestra that is allowed enough sectional rehearsal time to get things that well together. My ONLY complaint is with the very few of the musicians who glanced at the conductor. Most looked to be strictly watching their resapective charts.

OLDLOU>>

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I can't tell if this post is serious or not, but I'll bite anyway. An orchestra like the one in the clip performs and functions as one unit, not as a bunch of individual soloists. Dressing in a similar fashion and playing instruments that look similar are used to keep the audience from being distracted. If one trumpet player was using a red colored trumpet it would look out of place. Perhaps not so much in a community band, but in that orchestra, absolutely.

If someone is striving to be different, independent, or original, then they should do so. Maynard, Dizzy, Wynton, and countless others have done so successfully. IF however, someone wants to be part of an orchestra or other group that try to work in a uniform way, then they should accept the limitations that come with it...

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    AUDITIONS are usually BLIND.... The only reason people stress uniformity is to look like a "team".

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just like astronauts, deep sea divers and professional killers have a wardrobe that sets them apart from ordinary people, the professional musician also has a certain amount of tradition in their attire. I think that I look 20 years younger in my tux!

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    You wish! :twisted: