Finally got the high G!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Carolina_Jazzman, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm sure this is easy for those of you who have been playing for awhile, but for me i feel like I've reached a milestone. I'm finally able to hit the high G and play the whole G scale :thumbsup:

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Congratulations!!! I am sure it is well-earned. I am working towards that goal but have along way to go.

BrotherBACH

3. Carolina_Jazzman

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks! My teacher is retired from the Marine Corp band. He gave me a great excercise to do daily. I start on middle G and do long tones and alternate between low notes and high notes until I reach the lowest and highest G notes. This has really helped me.

4. Puckish

Puckish Piano User

Jan 10, 2011
    Congratulations. Don't minimalize accomplishment of that kind - but don't bask in your glory for too long. Now is time to refine the quality of the G you hit (with practice), striving to play it with good tone, precise pitch, variable dynamics (ppp to FFF) and to use your new-found g, musically, in a performance. But, again, way to go. :thumbsup:

5. Carolina_Jazzman

Mar 14, 2011

Thanks and trust me it still needs practice, but getting there feels good!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, but now its time to go for the high A which will improve the percentage of clean attacks on that newly acquired high G.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    anyone here who doesn't think he/she needs to practice are just fooling themselves -- we all need to practice.

AWESOME - to get that high G, I encourage you to keep having a goal, and shooting/ practicing for that goal --- when you achieve that --- find another goal.

AND by all means, share your experiences here on TM, and with any other trumpet/brass player that you can help.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    congrats Carolina .... did your instructor give you a BooYa when you told him?
    nothing like checking off a notch on the quest for altitude
    I squeeked out the tiniest F the other day ... first time in 20+ years.. so I will be gunning for ya :)

9. Carolina_Jazzman

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for all the encourgement! I haven't told him yet. I'll be able to show him Friday at my next lesson though.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Which G are we talking about here - G on top of the staff, or 4th ledger line above the staff G? I still don't have the latter, but I remember when I got to a point where I was getting top of staff G without issues.