Finally got the high G!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Carolina_Jazzman, Apr 18, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you know there is all kinds of room at the top of the web pages on this site .. so I am going to reccomend one the has a picture of a C, 2 ledger lines above the staff, with an arrow that says .. High C ... just in case someone missed Robin's post.
    What do you think Patrick?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Patrick, just put some faster air in the aperture, and slur an octave leap - then you will be at the 4th ledger G - it's that simple. Well that is what some people say here on TM. I'm saying it seems a little more difficult than that, at least for me.

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If the op is doing the exercise I think he is, then he would have to be going from pedal G to high G and the end. That would be quite impressive for long tone exercises.

4. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    Just the G on top of the staff. I've only been on trumpet for 3 months, so it feels good hitting it consistently. I'm not sure he wants me to try that high yet. (not that I could) His main concern was getting that one. I don't even have those notes in the book he has me working from. It goes up to the next C. Didn't mean to make anyone think I was hitting that yet, but i'm still pleased.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    As well it should. Don't obsess about playing high notes. If you practice and have patience, the next C will come in time. At that point you'll be able to play most of the music audiences (rather than trumpet players) want to hear.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    whatever G you hit, if that is your personal best -- that is an accomplishment -- and please don't try to FORCE playing above what you are conditioned to do so --- you will only risk injuring yourself.
    Conditioning (practice, time, and patience) will aid you greatly in range --- and a lot of that takes awhile, so be patient.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 to the Super Flair guy's comment

8. Carlw

Carlw New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Toronto
    As per Charlie Sheen "WINNING"!!!

Good for you!!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    And you SHOULD be pleased! I didn't get that G until I was in my 3rd year of playing.

I've been playing for about 30 years, and was an Army bandsman for 10 of that - I've done all kinds of things to develop that upper range. It isn't that I can't hit it - I can nail the heck out of it in the practice room, and have had that ability since about 1990. However, getting something usable on a gig is a different story. I've played Gs and even an 'A' or two on occasion on gigs, but it's never been consistent. For me, I'm consistent to about Eb.

Maybe I'm just one of those tough cases, but it's never been "that simple" in my experience.

10. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well now that you have a G you probally need to get it more consistent and get it to sound like every other note. Congrats there but don't limit yourself start working on that high A.