Finally got the high G!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Carolina_Jazzman, Apr 18, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks, Patrick -- I almost feel "Normal" now, having a similiar experience with consistency -- and not nearly the experience you have.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Consistency is a big issue for many of us, I think. I measure my progress by how my bad days are compared to last year's bad days. That way, I don't get frustrated.

To the OP: I got there (G on top of staff) pretty quick too, then things started to get a lot harder. Only the past year have I made significant progress. Here are things I gathered from personal experience:

Be patient; clear, objective, measurable progress is unlikely to happen over less than a year. If it does, be glad. Some days you'll fell like you're having a breakthrough, only to find after a week that it's not that much different, but the insight gained is still there.

Do not ever try to obtain higher notes by brute force, pressure, etc. It WILL set you back.

As you start working above the staff, if you're anything like me, the difference between your good days and bad days will increase. Be prepared for that possibility.

On good days: rest often; don't try to repeat cool sounding high stuff that you got out good the first time; stop when you feel you could do plenty more; don't keep a note beyond the point where you feel you can go longer with increasing effort. After getting out a nice, full sound high note, rest a little longer than you think you need. Go check that the faucets are not leaking or whatever. Keep thinking about the total time spent up there. That time is challenging to your chops and promotes development, but is also tiring and will be detrimental if excessive. Fine line between the 2.

On bad days: DO NOT get beaten by frustration. Bad days are a tremendous opportunity to learn, because you'll have to do everything right and pay close attention to everything your body does. Lower your expectations. Do not try to play music that will come out butchered and frutrate you more. Pick exercises that are within the feasible that day, even if you feel they're way easy.

To have the level of facility necessary to play well, the highest note in a piece should be well within your useable range. You'll know what that is.

That was my 2 cents.

You may find it way easier than I. I believe I have no natural facility for the high register. The vast majority of music is on or close to the staff, look at the "Carnaval de Venise."

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Phil986 - that's awesome advice - +++1 from me

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think the OP and the rest of us (some know, some don't) - should always keep the trumpet in perspective --- it takes years, and not months to become proficient at the instrument, and that is with consistent, dedicated practice --- that's my opinion.

play, be happy, and share with others -- my goodness what could be better in life? -- WE ARE TRUMPET PLAYERS!!!!!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Totally agree. Playing trumpet (or any other instrument) is a privilege. We are healthy enough, have the leisure to do it. Life is good!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I also think this is so well stated. I tell people when I have a stressful day at the office, that I'm going home to blow my brains out. I then proceed to do this, and feel so much better for it.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I agree with being happy. When people ask me how it's going. I honestly say " I love my life ". I have been able to get a lot of ex-trumpeters back in the game. All I'm sayin' is that we need more trumpet players to make the world a happier place. Sounded kinda tear jerky.....sorry.