Finally, some music to share!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, I bought some basic home recording gear. I picked up a Presonus 22VSL pre-amp to run into my computer. I also bought an MXL R144 ribbon mic. It was under a hundred bucks, and the thing is incredible! I am very new to home recording, but I could see right away that this mic is a great starter.

Anyway, I took one of my new rock band's songs, dropped an mp3 into GarageBand, and started creating some tracks with my trumpet. Of course, this was a completed, mixed, and mastered song BEFORE I dragged it into my little "project," so please understand if the mix sounds a little not-so-blended. I tried to balance the horns and mix it with the original track as best I could. (Also excuse some of that pitchy trumpet playing from this guy.)

I recorded three trumpet tracks, with one additional track to add some extra flair in some spots. I recorded this with my Cannonball 789RL, playing on a Schilke 14 mouthpiece. I played the "lead" trumpet part (if you want to call it that) using my Shew lead mouthpiece to give it a little bite.

What do you guys think? I have a long way to go, but I am proud of the progress I've made since returning to the trumpet world not so long ago!

Here's the link:

"The Night," by Wagner 3000 w/ trumpet by Steve Carbone

Is it wrong that I am horribly nervous about posting this here for this community to hear? Be gentle!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, what a perfect trumpet score for this song... Did you write this? This is just fabulous. Also the execution is amazing... just blends perfectly with the emotion of the song... complements it so well, I cannot imagine this song without the trumpet track!:bravo:

By the way... isn't that MXL R144 fabulous? It is my favorite mic for recording the trumpet.

3. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Thank you! Yes, I composed the trumpet parts. I didn't write anything out, just experimented with phrasing and chords. I'm pretty happy with it. And yes, that microphone is a STEAL for $99. :D

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Well that was a surprise. I expected Wagner to be the Ride of the Valkyries one, however nice trumpet addition. In the words of the late, great, Darth Vader, "Impressive, most impressive."

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Love the sound. When the horns started, I could see/hear this playing over the credits in a spaghetti western. Nice to hear trumpets in a country style number. Totally appropriate. Thanks.

tj