Finaly starting to get it right?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by KjetilS, Apr 16, 2018.

1. KjetilS

KjetilS New Friend

May 23, 2016
    Hello! I picked up the trumpet 2 1/2 years ago after about 20 years of not playing. It has been extremely fun. I have played for an audience quite a few times with a jazz quintet and feel relatively secure improvising (though not very advanced). I posted a sample for feedback a few weeks ago. I play every day. First 45 min before work (start with 20 min. slurs and long tones) and then about one hour late in the evening. My tone has improved all along, as have my improvising skills and ability to memorize the tunes. The range, on the other hand, has been going slightly up (high C) and then down (A) back up, dow and so on. I just have not figured it out and compensate for bad technique with pressure.

These last few days I think I have started to get it right. It happened almost by accident. I tried to free buzz relaxed as high as I could, then without stopping placed the mouthpiece on the lips, the buzz spread to the entire lips and pitch went up significantly, then, still without stopping the buzz I inserted the mouthpiece in the trumpet. The result was a very pleasent sounding high C with next to no mouthpiece pressure. Following this prosedure, I can now play soft with good tone up to at least high G. The problem is that this range is still completely unattached to my normal playing. I can not do this without going from freebuzz to mouthpiece buzz to trumpet but now I see the light in the tunnel. Knowing where I am heading and knowing my lips can do it.

Just wanted to share my experience and maybe get som advice on how to join this new high range to my normal range - improving my over all playing habits.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Evie, KHT, GeorgeB and 2 others like this.
  2. KHT

KHT New Friend

Apr 4, 2018
    South Milwaukee
    I've had a hint of the same experience buzzing. Now if I could only do it consistantly a
    a nd on the trumpet. I'm afraid that I can't give you any good advice as I've only been playing for a little over a month after a more than 40 year hiatus. I believe you're definitely on to something though.

KjetilS likes this.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Welcome to the " long-time-away-from-playing-trumpet-club ". I started back up in 2016 after a 51 year hiatus. I'm in my 80s and it is tough going and sometimes discouraging but I am getting there slowly. Lots of good advice here from the experienced players. Good luck on your return.

Evie and KjetilS like this.
  4. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    My story is almost identical to Georges. I am 72. Playing softly with little pressure. Strengthening the muscles at the corner of lips.

GeorgeB likes this.
  5. KjetilS

KjetilS New Friend

May 23, 2016
    No, not getting it right at all. It seems the only thing waiting for me along the buzzing-path was frustration and wasted lips. The light I saw was just my hopes reflected on the dead end of the tunnel.(I`m not really that depressed by this :-) ) Its really annoying. If I free-buzz I roll the lips in a bit and placing the trumpet over make me able to go high with nice sound, but doing this, just a litle every day, has made everything else gradually worse, so back to my lousy range going nowhere. It was a nice dream though :-)

Playing the frustration away on my new flugelhorn yesterday. (Practically brand new yamaha 631 with a nice and expensive backpack, mouthpiece, case and stand for 650 us dollars. Everything seems to be unused): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RiR7keo1HcwuRu-_Mv9C0Kb5ncTw1K9n/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    J. Jericho likes this.
  6. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    And playing it beautifully.
    Don't get frustrated, please.
    Believe me, you are a really good trumpet player.
    In my younger playing days my comfort playing range was up to an A or B above the stave and I played that way for 12 years at teen dances, weddings, etc., and I was happy as a tick. Today my comfort range is an A above the stave, though in scale exercise I play to so/so F above high C. But I don't sweat it because I will never be called on to play anything up there these days.
    You are good, my friend. I would give my eye teeth to play as well as you.

KjetilS likes this.
  7. KjetilS

KjetilS New Friend

May 23, 2016
    Thanks a lot, George. :-)

8. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    You're welcome. JUST HANG IN THERE AND KEEP ON BLOWING !!!!

Evie and KjetilS like this.
  9. KjetilS

KjetilS New Friend

May 23, 2016
    I`ll do that! Thanks again!